Hal Ross Flour Mill dedicated Friday

Hal Ross Flour Mill dedicated Friday

0 1

The Hal Ross Flour Mill will put K-State on the grain-processing map, a K-State dean said Friday.

“This project positions us to be a world leader in the whole arena of grain processing,” said Fred Cholick, dean of the College of Agriculture.

Cholick was one of about 500 to attend the dedication ceremony for the flour mill. Students and faculty alike said they were excited about the mill.

“This mill will put students on the cutting edge, giving them the tools they need to be successful, as well as providing research opportunities not offered before,” Tom Worcester, junior in milling science, said.

The 22,000 square-foot building contains $2.7 million in the most up-to-date milling equipment donated by 30 milling industry equipment suppliers.

The dedication featured opening speeches, a ribbon-cutting ceremony, tours and a gala in the International Grains Program Center.

K-State President Jon Wefald spoke first at the event, saying he was the only president in the United States who reads Milling and Baking News.

Wefald then introduced Morton Sosland, editor in chief of Milling and Baking News.

Many other prominent public figures and donors in the industry followed, including the largest donor, Hal Ross, who graduated from K-State in 1949 with a degree in milling science.

The mill will give students several advantages.

“The new mill gives students a chance to mill hard wheat, soft wheat and durum,” Kendall McFall, instructor in grain science, said.

This is just one of the many advantages the new mill offers over the old, which opened in 1961.

“It is automated, but you can manually override it to stop the mill and do whatever you need to do in a teaching situation,” McFall said.

SIMILAR ARTICLES