DJ Unk to perform Saturday

DJ Unk to perform Saturday

0 4

Changing up the concert scene in Manhattan, DJ Unk will perform live at 7 p.m. Saturday in the K-State Student Union Ballroom.

DJ Unk gained national attention by earning a spot in the Billboard Top 40 and introducing another hip-hop dance craze with his debut single, “Walk it Out.”

Daniel ‘Dank’ Martin, founder of TreyStar Entertainment, arranged for DJ Unk to stop in Manhattan on his spring tour.

Dank and Josh Criswell, junior in american ethnic studies, worked together to bring DJ Unk to K-State.

Dank interned at Swisherhouse records, best known for acts like Mike Jones and Paul Wall before moving to Kansas.

“I wanted to use those connections in the industry to bring some hip-hop flavor to Kansas,” he said.

Dank said he noticed Lawrence was hosting many headliner music artists and had a more hip-hop friendly atmosphere. He said he wants K-State to rival the Kansas in entertainment, and he is working on a K-State vs. KU greek community stomp show.

“It will be called ‘Stomp the Yard, I-70 S series,'” he said.

Criswell’s cousin Ace, an Atlantic recording artist, is the opening act.

Following Ace will be a greek step show, showcasing Omega Psi Phi and historically black sororities Delta Sigma Theta and Zeta Phi Beta. Following the step show DJ Unk will a “Walk it Out” contest where the winner will be awarded $150.

After the contest, DJ Unk will take the stage.

“I think the Midwest is an open market,” Criswell said. “Dank really took the initiative to enrich the K-State community.”

Tickets for Saturday’s performance will be for sale in advance for $25 at Varney’s, The K-State Store and Silverado Saloon. Tickets can be purchased for $30 at the door.

Fans can receive pictures and autographs with DJ Unk at a meet-and-greet from 5-6 p.m. at Manhattan Town Center.