Revival raises funds for Christopher Reeve foundation

0
23

In stark contrast to last year’s event, the sun was bright and skies were clear Saturday for this year’s Sunset Revival, an annual benefit concert sponsored by Sigma Nu and Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternities.

The event, which took place at the Sigma Nu fraternity house, lasted all day, and the money raised went to the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation. Entry to the music festival was $10, or concertgoers could purchase the official Sunset Revival T-shirt.

The event featured 11 bands from around Manhattan and throughout the United States. Bands like the Mikey Needleman Band and Addictive Behavior represented the local music scene. Other acts, like the Effects, came to Manhattan to help raise money for the foundation. For the first time, the event featured two stages, one in front of the house on the hill and the second behind the house.

Ryan Clifford, lead singer and guitarist for the Dave Matthews Tribute Band, said he and his band travel the country playing shows.

Clifford said he enjoys being a professional musician because he gets to meet so many people.

“To be able to play in front of four or five hundred people a night is a real treat,” Clifford said.

Clifford said the songs that make up the band’s set lists include mostly those songs heard on the radio. “We play about 80 percent of (Dave Matthews’) radio songs,” Clifford said. “The casual fan is usually who comes out to see us, and that’s what they want to hear.”

Chase Lauchlin McGillis, bassist for The Effects, was the bassist for local act Addictive Behavior before The Effects picked him up to play on their most recent record.

McGillis and The Effects are fresh off a West Coast tour and have been on tour for most of the year.

“We’ve played with Kings of Leon, the Stills, Velvet Revolver, and we’re getting ready to go out on tour in July with a band called Bang Bang Bang,” McGillis said.

McGillis said he was excited to be back for Sunset Revival because he played in the benefit in past years.

Betsy Brownlee, junior in kinesiology, said she attended Sunset Revival to enjoy the fellowship with friends and the nice weather. Brownlee said she enjoyed hanging out with her friends and listening to the music in the background.

“There’s always a lot of friends here,” she said.

Scott Sullivan, sophomore in business management and marketing, was on the planning team. Sullivan said the team wanted to do something different this year.

He said the idea of the two stages was to give the event more of a festival atmosphere.

“We took a chance, and it turned out really well,” Sullivan said. “It’s bigger than anything we’ve ever done before.”