FreshWOMEN program available to minority women new to campus

0 3

Delta Sigma Theta’s sixth-annual FreshWOMEN program for minority women new to campus will take place Sunday afternoon at the Little Theater in K-State Student Union.

This year’s theme is “Avenues to Success,” and women who participate will learn of the opportunities available to them on campus, said Lecretia Morrison, senior in architecture and Delta Sigma Theta’s journalist and historian.

“This program was implemented to assist female minority students with adjustment and feeling more welcome and at home,” Morrison said.

The program will introduce new female students to different organizations, programs and opportunities on campus they can get involved in.

“When you are in a totally different environment, things can seem very dominating at first glance,” Morrison said. “This program just reinforces what services the university has to offer.”

FreshWOMEN will provide a casual atmosphere where women can relax and listen to others talk about anything from residence-hall experiences to the best way to pull an all-nighter, Morrison said.

“We want to be real with the ladies about everything and sort of provide another upperclassman student perspective, in addition to what they have already heard,” Morrison said.

Many organizations and businesses will be at the orientation, which will cover a variety of the resources K-State has to offer.

Information on opportunities for greek involvement, academic help, financial aid, jobs and career services also will be available.

“What makes this program so great is the opportunity to see something different from the minority perspective,” said Tamara Taylor, senior in graphic design and Delta Sigma Theta program and development chair.

While Delta Sigma Theta focuses on the minority community, all women are welcome at the FreshWOMEN orientation. There are no additional informational meetings scheduled after the orientation, but contact information and brochures will be available for those who might have questions later on.

“This program is about women and the experiences they will face,” said Amber Foust, senior in architectural engineering and chapter president. “We try to target the minority population, but this orientation is for all who are interested.”