FreshWOMEN event focuses on welcoming new students

0
6

Sharene Lester had always wanted to pledge a sorority.

Lester, freshman in marketing, attended Delta Sigma Theta’s FreshWOMEN Orientation Sunday in the Little Theatre in the K-State Student Union. She said she found the orientation helpful because it provided information about how to become more involved and get connected on campus.

“I really liked the Career and Employment (Services) presentation about searching for internships, and I’m so glad I came,” she said. “I have also always wanted to pledge a sorority, and I learned a lot about them and the presentations they gave will help me choose one that fits me the best.”

Delta Sigma Theta’s fifth-annual FreshWOMEN Orientation informed minority women of the opportunities available as new or transfer students. Representatives from K-State organizations offered information to students about the community and the different multicultural events available. Organizations like the Black Student Union, Leasure Hall Tutoring Services and the Student Governing Association also attended the event.

Though all students receive similar information at summer freshman orientation, Lecretia Morrison, Delta Sigma Theta journalist/historian, said her sorority wanted to provide minority women with the chance to hear about the activities they could be a part of on a personal level.

“The program first started five years ago when we saw a need because of the amount of minority women on campus,” Morrison, senior in architecture, said. “We wanted to make them feel more welcomed and give them a chance to ask questions and become involved on a deeper level.”

Tamara Taylor, Delta Sigma Theta program chair, said she thought the program was a success because it offered valuable information about K-State to new students and made them feel welcome.

“We are trying to do our part in promoting diversity at K-State,” said Taylor, senior in graphic design. “I think we made these women feel like they could get involved and be a part of something great.”

Myra Gordon, associate provost of diversity and dual career development, said students should promote diversity at K-State.

“Everybody has a job in diversity because everybody wants K-State to be more diverse,” Gordon said. “Employers are looking to diversify their workplaces, so it is good for the community as a whole to promote diversity. We must plan for what we want to have happen, and at K-State we are working hard to get there.”