Rugby team ranked in top 25 for 1st time ever

0 9

The K-State men’s basketball team received much attention this year from the national media, but the group is not the only men’s team to be ranked highly.

The K-State men’s rugby team received enough votes last week to make it into the top 25 for the first time in its history.

“Being nationally ranked is awesome,” said Connor Smith, senior in architectural engineering. “It shows that we are a very good program on the rise.”

With only three games left this season, the team could finish with 10-plus wins for the second straight year.

The team traveled to Dallas for the Western USA Collegiate Rugby Nationals, where it eventually fell to the then No. 8-ranked Colorado Buffaloes and were eliminated from contention for a title.

The remaining three games will be tough tests as injuries have plagued the team down the stretch of the season. Both co-captains Hale Sloan and Dan Knapp, sophomore in open option, are inactive for a highly touted club team game this weekend in Kansas City, Mo. Both players will be on the sideline with separated shoulders.

However, the players said they still think success is possible.

“There is no reason we should not win,” said Sloan senior in biological and agricultural engineering and president of the rugby team. “If the guys filling in play to their ability, we should walk away with wins in all of the last three games.”

At 7-3 overall and (3-1) in Big 12 conference play, the team has no lack of confidence in ending the season on a high note.

“If we play like we have all season, winning the last three games should be pretty easy,” Sloan said.

After the Northland game this weekend, the Pitt State and Topeka rugby teams will travel to Manhattan to close out the men’s season.