Fresh orientation works to help minority women succeed at KSU

0
19

Black women in the 1920s, ‘30s, ‘40s and ‘50s excelled because they had to, the adviser for a traditionally black sorority said.
    “That is their legacy,” said Barbara Wigfall, the adviser of Delta Sigma Theta. “That’s what all black sororities are striving for — improving quality of life.”
    The orientation, called FreshWomen, was Wednesday in the Little Theatre in the K-State Student Union. It focused on acclimating freshmen and transfer students to K-State and helping them find programs to help them do that.
    “A lot of times being in classrooms those minorities will be the only one in the class,” said Hampton, president of Delta Sigma Theta. “And there’s a lot of misunderstanding on both ends. By being open and asking questions and talking, that’s the only way we can gain understanding.” 
    Hampton, junior in biosystems engineering, was passionate about helping minority women succeed in college and life.
    “The issue with freshmen is they don’t know how to balance extracurricular with academics,” said Hampton.
    “Because of retention issues, [freshmen need] to get connected with their resources as soon as possible so they’ll be here second semester. It’s also a way to see minority females in leadership positions.”
    Courtney Bimper, freshman in open option, and  Eresiya Odom, freshman in clinical laboratory science, said they were excited about the event and eager to see what they offered and meet people.
    Hampton said the sorority has five goals for helping women: economic development; educational development; international awareness and involvement; physical and mental health; and political awareness and involvement.
    The sorority was founded to “promote academic excellence and to provide assistance to persons in need,” according to its Web site.
    Wigfall said being part of the sorority is a lifelong commitment.
    “The point is the torch is passed on,” Wigfall said. “The torch is a light in the darkness.”