Right to Life group protests abortion at Life Chain Event

0
27

Anyone interested in getting involved in KSU Students for the Right to Life can contact the organization at [email protected] or attend their next meeting from 7-8 p.m. on November 6 in Weber Hall, room 221.

Many people who drove past the corner of Anderson and Denison avenues Sunday afternoon either honked or yelled out their car windows, but the people who were lined up on the sidewalks around the intersection stood silent.
    KSU Students for the Right to Life and members of the community participated in the annual Life Chain event from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m.
    Lisa Hund, president of the KSU Students for the Right to Life and senior in art education, said the student organization is an on-campus group whose stated goal is “to strive to peacefully inform, educate and protect all life from conception until natural death.”
    She also said the Life Chain event gives the group the opportunity to achieve this goal.
    “Life Chain is a peaceful, silent, nondenominational protest [against abortion],” Hund said. “Some people honk to show their support and others curse.”
    Hund said the protest is necessary because many people either aren’t informed about the issues surrounding abortion or are hesitant to express their opinions on the issue.
    “Abortion is swept under the rug because people don’t believe that they have the right to share their beliefs with others,” she said.
    Elizabeth Gonzales, secretary of KSU Students for the Right to Life and sophomore in animal sciences and industry, said she participated in the protest because she wanted to help raise awareness that abortion is a growing problem in the U.S.
    Keith Hampton, Manhattan resident, said he remembers the first time Manhattan residents participated in the nationwide Life Chain event. He said the first Life Chain was located on Bluemont Avenue and was eight blocks long.
    “It was the year of the December of Mercy blockades of abortion clinics in Wichita, and you could just tell people here wanted to be involved,” he said. “When the Life Chain came that fall, people participated.”
    Hampton said he participates in Life Chain because he always has been opposed to abortion and wants to help raise awareness, especially among K-State students.
    Hund said KSU Students for the Right to Life has 15 consistent voting members. They also are active in other events on campus. On Oct. 21, they participated in the “Silent Day of Solidarity,” during which participants do not speak to show their support for the unborn. Participants are identified by either red duct-tape across their mouths or a red duct-tape band around their arms.
    Next January, the group will participate in the March for Life in Washington, D.C. Students will participate in the walk as well as other events to help raise abortion awareness for government officials.
    Gonzales said though there are Life Chains occurring across the nation, there is a common theme that ties them together.
    “You give your voice for all those who never had the chance,” she said.