Erik Kynard leads successful meet

Erik Kynard leads successful meet

0 1

The K-State track and field team continued its strong early season run as they put together an impressive weekend at the Sevigne Husker Invitational, in Lincoln, Neb., and at the New Mexico Collegiate Classic, in Albuquerque, N.M.

Junior high jumper Erik Kynard hit 7-7 for the second time this season, giving him a firm hold of the nation’s best jump this season. He made two attempts at 7-8 1/2 but came up short on both.

Although just a freshman, Alyx Treasure continues to put up strong performances in the women’s high jump. Treasure jumped 5-11 1/2 for the second time this season, and the mark places her seventh in the NCAA.

Short sprints have been a consistent high point for both the men and women’s teams this season, and that was no different this weekend.

Senior Mairead Murphy took home the title in the women’s 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8.44 seconds, moving past her previous season fastest time of 8.65. Sophomore Erica Twiss and junior Richelle Farley took second and third place for the Wildcats.

The Wildcats received a boost from several freshmen women who have regularly shown that they can compete at a high level.

Twiss joined in with fellow freshmen Sophia Alonso, Sarah Kolmer and senior Ryann Krais to take home the title in the women’s 4×400 relay.

Carlos Rodriguez stepped in and added an important piece as the sophomore newcomer finished in second in the men’s 60-meter dash with a time of 6.79 seconds. The meet marked only the second time that Rodriguez has competed indoors.

Senior mid-distance runner Boglarka Bozzay has consistently been a high point for the Wildcats as she won the women’s 800-meter run in a time of 2:06.00. Bozzay was less than half a second off the school record time.

K-State splits up again next week. One section of the team will travel to Ames, Iowa, to compete in the Iowa State Classic, while the other section will head to Fayetteville, Ark., to compete in the Tyson Invitational in what is traditionally one of the biggest meets of the year.