Wildcats set for first home match of Big 12 Conference play

0
23

K-State’s volleyball team will square off with the University of West Virginia for the first time tonight in K-State’s first home Big 12 Conference match of the season. The Wildcats will come to Ahearn Field House with a record of 13-1 and ranked No. 15 in the nation, while the Mountaineers boast a record of 8-7.

After starting the season off 12-0, a school record, the Wildcats lost their first Big 12 match of the season to the University of Oklahoma on Sept. 19 in straight sets. Going into the match with Oklahoma, K-State had only lost a total of four sets all season. K-State was able to bounce back on Saturday by defeating The University of Nebraska-Omaha in straight sets.

Freshman hitter Hannah Sackett is carrying much of the scoring load for the Mountaineers so far this season, with a team high 152 kills. West Virginia is 1-3 so far this year on the road and are coming off of a loss to TCU. The Mountaineers went up 2-0 before allowing TCU to win three straight sets.

Junior middle blocker Kaitlynn Pelger has been a key part of K-State’s success so far this season. The All-American candidate is currently the leader on the team in kills and second in digs. 

Senior setter Caitlyn Donahue also plays a key role for the WIldcats. Donahue is currently second in the Big 12 in assists per set with 11.67. It is her responsibilty to get the ball to the Wildcat hitters to allow them to score points on offense. 

Opening serve is scheduled for 7 p.m. at Ahearn Field House. The first 250 students get free ’70s-style K-State tube socks and will be given a voucher to pick up the socks after halftime.