Business beats: high gas prices might drive down teen drunk driving

Gas reaches most expensive autumn prices ever, may be leading to lower teen drunk driving

A national average of $3.78 per gallon makes this month’s gas prices the most expensive ever for the beginning of October. Meanwhile, a report from the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention released Tuesday states that the number of reported teens driving drunk has decreased by 54 percent in the last 20 years.

In 2007, the CDCP noticed a correlation between the economy and drunk driving, suggesting that rising gas prices might discourage teenage drunk driving. However, over the last 20 years, decreases in teen drunk driving have been seen as a response to laws monitoring drinking age, increased awareness and advertisement, according to an article published Tuesday by the Los Angeles Times. 

Prices are expected to plateau for much of October.

Ban on selling Samsung tablet lifted

A case between Samsung and Apple regarding patent infringement was settled Monday as a judge dismissed a ban forbidding Samsung to sell their newest Galaxy Tab 10.1, according to a Tuesday article by CNN Money. 

After the dismissal, Samsung released a statement saying there was no infringement on Apple’s patent and the injunction brought against them by Apple was uncalled for. Apple has not yet released a statement in response. 

Swedish piracy site experiences outage 

A popular torrent hub site, thepiratebay.se, experienced site outages Monday and Tuesday, much to the worry and fear of its users, according to a Tuesday CNN Money article. 

The Pirate Bay is a high-traffic host of torrent links that allow users to share files. The illegal downloading site has survived numerous attempts of destruction from governments around the world.

Users of the site posted to the website’s Facebook page to complain and find out if the site had been taken down. The extended period of outage coincided with a raid by Swedish law enforcement on a related Web host, but Pirate Bay operators attributed the outage mainly to an unrelated power failure.

Obama-formed group to continue suing banks

The Residential Mortgage Backed Securities working group, formed by President Barack Obama in January, has sued JPMorgan Chase bank, and plans to pursue further action, on grounds of fraud against investors.

The Residential Mortgage Backed Securities working group was formed in order to hold banks more responsible for their policies and the financial crisis, according to a CNN article published Tuesday. The group has announced that it will continue pursuing lawsuits against fraudulent banks that misuse investor money and sell poor-quality home loans.