Smith an absolute must for the Chiefs

Smith an absolute must for the Chiefs

0 1

When watching the Kansas City Chiefs last season, it was painfully obvious that there was absolutely no fear from the opposing defense that the Chiefs could get the ball past them. That makes it even more incredible that running back Jamaal Charles rushed for a career-high 1,509 yards, and also why the move to bring in former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Alex Smith was a no-brainer, even if it was at the cost of a second-round pick.

For fans who don’t remember, Smith was leading the NFL in passing when he suffered a concussion on Nov. 11 against the St. Louis Rams. The rest is history, as Colin Kaepernick came in for the 49ers, making Smith expendable.

One knock on Smith is that he does not throw the deep ball very well; however, just like the case in San Francisco, he will not be asked to throw the ball deep a whole lot for the Chiefs.

With big receivers like Dwayne Bowe, Jon Baldwin and Tony Moeaki, the Chiefs can dominate the intermediate passing game with the very accurate Smith.

Smith also does an outstanding job of throwing the ball on the run, and with a running game like the Chiefs have with Charles, it will make the play-action fake nearly impossible for defenses to focus on.

For a 2-14 team, six pro-bowlers still remain, showing that there is still a lot of major talent on the team. The defense has the capability to be one of the best in the NFL, and with a ton of salary cap space and the No.1 pick, there is potential to go from the worst team in football to a playoff team.

The second-round pick would have been nice to have, but to potentially get your starting quarterback for the next six to eight years in Smith was too great an opportunity to pass up. As for my expectations for Smith, I believe he will be the starting quarterback of a playoff team next season.

SIMILAR ARTICLES