Sororities serve pasta, desserts during philanthropy weekend

0 3

This was quite a busy weekend for a few of the sorority houses at K-State. Along with the Shamrock Dinner hosted by Kappa Delta, sororities Pi Beta Phi, Kappa Kappa Gamma and Gamma Phi Beta all hosted their own philanthropic events this past weekend.

Pi Beta Phi hosted its 2nd annual “Pi Phi Bow Ties” event at the sorority’s house Friday night.

For a $5.50 donation, individuals could enjoy all-you-can-eat bow tie pasta with marinara or Alfredo sauce. Gluten-free pasta was offered, as well as different toppings, such as chicken. A wide variety of cookies were offered for dessert.

“The marinara is really good,” said Katlyn Jones, senior in dietetics. “I’m loving it.”

Krista Holliman, junior in accounting, said she was glad they had options for people who follow certain traditions during the Lenten season.

“It’s Friday, and for Catholics we’re not supposed to have meat,” Holliman said. “I’m happy they have a meatless option though.”

Pi Beta Phi is holding this event for the second year in a row, after last year’s event resulted in a strong turnout and raised a large amount of money.

“We raised about $1,500 last year and we hope to bring in more this year,” said Lauren Strickler, sophomore in kinesiology. “It was a great success and really fun to do considering it was our first year.”

A new addition to this year’s event was the opportunity to pie a member of Pi Beta Phi in the face with a whipped cream pie for a $20 donation.

“It’s just a fun little add-on to this event,” Strickler said. “We wanted more stuff to do after people got done eating.”

The near-freezing temperatures made the pie-to-the-face tougher to endure for some Pi Phis, like Sophia Hitchcock, freshman in biology.

“I feel pretty sticky from the whipped cream, and it’s all in my hair and in my coat,” Hitchcock said. “The cold temperatures didn’t help.”

All of the proceeds of this event benefit literacy through the Read. Lead. Achieve. Foundation. Future events that Pi Beta Phi will host to benefit this organization include the Pi Beta Phi Speedo Read on April 11.

To conclude the weekend’s philanthropic activities, the Gamma Phi Beta and Kappa Kappa Gamma sororities paired together to host their Sundae Fundae event at the Kappa house Sunday evening. This event is one of Gamma Phi Beta’s annual philanthropic events, but it was the first time they paired with Kappa Kappa Gamma.

“We decided to do it with Kappa because our girls get along with a lot of them,” said Katie Bolin, sophomore in kinesiology and Gamma Phi Beta’s philanthropy chair. “We’re really good partners and we’ve worked really well together so far.”

For a $4 donation, individuals could enjoy many flavors of ice cream provided by Baskin Robbins, along with a wide variety of toppings.

“We have chocolate chip, Oreo, vanilla, cookie dough and many other flavors,” said Kelsey Wolf, sophomore in public relations and Kappa Kappa Gamma’s philanthropy chair. “There’s also gummy bears, sprinkles, a giant thing of M&M;’s and whipped cream.”

All proceeds from this event benefit both Kappa Kappa Gamma’s philanthropy, the Reading Is Fundamental organization, as well as Gamma Phi Beta’s philanthropy, the Boys & Girls Club of Manhattan.

This weekend was full of philanthropic events, which, according to the groups that organized them, was merely a coincidence.

“We literally planned this two weeks ago,” Bolin said. “I realized there weren’t many dates in March in which people are here, so we decided on this date, and it just happened to fall on the same weekend as the others.”