Exploring Melbourne: finding crowds and diversity on Brunswick Street

0 0
Erica Hamman | Collegian Brunswick Street, located in Fitzroy, Australia, is a cultural hub of art, shopping centers and restaurants. Artwork such as this ornately decorated bench is a feature of the area.

Hello mates! I have officially been in Australia for a month now, and the days are quickly flying by.

School has been keeping me busy even though I only have scheduled classes on Monday and Tuesday. In my free time, I have been going on small trips around the wonderful city of Melbourne. Just this week, I went to a quaint little suburb called Fitzroy and, more specifically, to a block within it called Brunswick Street.

Since I have been here, I have made both international friends and other American friends. One of my American friends from the Washington D.C. area coincidently has an uncle who lives in Fitzroy and who graciously showed us around his quaint town.

Brunswick Street almost reminds me of Aggieville, but it is quite special in its own way. When you first enter the street, you are bombarded with vibrant graffiti. I learned that most of the graffiti on the shops was paid for by the business owners to bring attention to the store and contribute to the cultural landscape of Melbourne.

Throughout the street, there are sprinklings of local cafés, shopping centers and sports bars. Melbourne is known for its love of sports. The most popular sport is called “footy,” or Australian football, which is different from both soccer and American football.

The crowds of people who come to Brunswick Street are also a breath of fresh air. They are all different ages and come from many ethnic backgrounds. One café might attract what we consider a traditional “nuclear family,” while another might attract a couple dotted with numerous tattoos who want to dine on sushi.

Brunswick Street was refreshing in its diversity. It is a place that everyone should visit at least once if not more.