Orientation guide: Many free or inexpensive resources available to K-State students

1 3
Parker Robb | Collegian Rachel Hinten, junior in architectural engineering, helps Max Burr, freshman in physics, with his chemistry homework on Monday during a Scholars Assisting Scholars tutoring session in the Engineering Complex. Several tutoring groups on campus offer assistance on coursework to students. More information on tutoring is available at k-state.edu/tutoring.

For students who are feeling under the weather, getting stressed out or struggling to do well in classes, K-State offers many services to assist students, many of them at free or significantly reduced prices.

Leasure Hall Tutoring Center
Leasure Hall’s tutoring center is one of five total tutoring centers at
K-State. Students can register for a tutor in Holton Hall 101 or in
Leasure Hall 201. Different subjects have different hours for walk-in scheduling of tutoring, which can be found at k-state.edu/aac/tutoring/walkintutoring.html.

“Leasure Hall Tutoring Center tutors in more than 100 courses offered at K-State,” said Kimberly Dierks, coordinator for the Leasure Hall Tutoring Center. “We have tutors for most subjects requested. This is a free service for all K-State students. These are student-run sessions, and all tutors are students. They are students who have previously taken the course, received a high grade in it and felt comfortable being willing to tutor others in that course.”

The Women’s Center
The K-State Women’s Center’s mission is to help create an equitable work and learning environment for all women and all people through advocacy, presentations, academic classes, training and referral. Social justice is the unifying mission for a variety of individual and community efforts. The center also responds to violence through crisis response and violence prevention programs. The Women’s Center helped create the student organization Wildcats Against Rape, which brings awareness to campus sexual violence.

Powercat Financial Counseling
For free information and education about budgeting, credit use, saving, identity theft, debt management, student loan management and transitioning to work after college, students can consult Powercat Financial Counseling. PFC aims to improve the financial stability of K-State students through student-to-student peer financial counseling.

K-State Writing Center
“The K-State Writing Center is a resource for all curent K-State students from all majors and all disciplines,” said Kara Northway, Writing Center Development Coordinator. “We help students on any kind of writing, but we mostly see academic writing. We have also helped work with students on personal and professional writing. We help all students, which includes students in the undergrad, students working on their master’s degree or students in their doctoral programs.”

The Writing Center is located in English and Counseling Services Building room 122D. Most sessions are 30 minutes long. At the center, students who need writing assistance are paired with K-State writing tutors, who are also students. In the 30-minute sessions, tutor and writer focus on where the writer needs help and the two work together to improve the writing assignment. Starting this fall, students will be able to submit their work online and receive it back within a few days with corrections and suggestions. The Writing Center is free and all sessions are conducted on a one-on-one basis.

Peters Recreation Complex
The Rec is paid for with student privilege fees and is free to all K-State students. There are 14 handball/racquetball courts, three gyms with 10 basketball courts, a weight and fitness area, a cardio deck and circuit and stretching areas. There is also a newly installed rock climbing wall. Soon, the Rec will have tennis courts and outdoor basketball courts for student use.

LGBT Resource Center
The K-State LGBT Resource Center is dedicated to helping students, staff and faculty, and members of the surrounding communities to be more secure, educated and productive in their personal and professional surroundings. The LGBT Resource Center offers information and resources regarding the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender communities. The information is free and the office is open to anyone.

Counseling Services
“The things we are most known for are personal therapy, couples sessions and career counseling,” said Laurie Wesely, assistant director for clinical services at Counseling Services. “We also do biofeedback training which relates to stress management and reduction, performance enhancements and anxiety prevention.”

Counseling is free to students for the first four sessions. Sessions five through 10 cost $15 and sessions above 10 are $25. The amount of sessions students are allotted is refreshed every academic year. Couseling Services helps students on the spectrum of needs whether people are dealing with depression, anxiety, domestic violence, a lost life, past issues or stress management. Counseling Services is willing to help all students with all issues.

Career and Employment Services
Career and Employment Services helps students prepare for life after college. CES helps students with mock interviews for potential jobs and is willing to look over resumes and curricula vitae. It also assists students in their search for jobs both during college and after graduation, whether that job is on campus or in the community. CES hosts many different career fairs with at least one that will be connected to one’s major in some way.

Lafene Health Center
Lafene Health Center offers a spectrum of services for free or at significantly reduced prices to students. Lafene offers allergy and immunizations, health information management, health promotion, nutrition counseling, a pharmacy, physical therapy, radiology, a sports medicine clinic and a women’s clinic. Students are able to make appointments and meet with doctors for free. If there is any lab work, X-rays or prescriptions that need to be filled, insurance may cover it or it will be a small out-of-pocket fee from the student.

• http://www.myquicklawyers.com/ debt_help

Thanks for the resource. Online tutoring can also be a good solution for the distressed students. Some of them like tutorteddy tutor offer free tutoring.