Men’s golf relinquishes lead, earns silver at Colbert Intercollegiate

The K-State men’s golf team fell just short of repeating as Jim Colbert Intercollegiate champions Tuesday with a final round 16-over par 304 finish, placing them just two shots behind Sam Houston State at the par-72, 7,486-yard Colbert Hills Golf Course.

The Wildcats entered Tuesday’s action atop the team leaderboard after recording a tournament-best, two-under par 286 second round score Monday afternoon. However, the Wildcats were ultimately unable to fend off the Bearkats and their final round-best score of 12-over par 300 en route to their first team victory of the season.

“We just came up a little short today,” head coach Tim Norris said to K-State Sports. “It was really disappointing to give up the lead, but I think some good things came out of it. We had two excellent days to evaluate our game and where it is. If we can string together three good rounds next week in Akron, we will be in a good spot.”

Despite giving up the lead, all eight Wildcat participants finished the tournament in the top 25, including four top 10 individual finishes, led by senior Alex Carney.

Carney, playing as an individual, entered the final round just two shots behind tournament leader Zach Cabra, a junior from Sam Houston State. The Wildcat senior continued his recent form, firing a three-over par 75 final round, which was good enough to earn silver behind Cabra, who went on to win the event with a total score of three-under par 213 and a final round one-over par 73.

Fourth and fifth place were occupied by fellow Wildcats, sophomore Matt Green and senior Daniel Wood. Green notched his fourth top-five finish in his two seasons at K-State with a final round three-over par 75 and an overall score of five-over par 221, while Wood captured his second top-five finish in as many years at the event, finishing at nine-over par 225. Rounding out the top 10 for Norris’ squad was junior Kyle Weldon who fired a four-over par 76, good enough for eighth place.

The rest of the Wildcat scorecard included senior Tyler Norris’ 16-over par 232 (tied for 13th), senior David Klaudt’s 18-over par 234 (tied for 17th), freshman Seth Smith’s 19-over par 235 (tied for 21st), and freshman Connor Knabe’s 20-over par 236 (tied for 23rd).

The Wildcats will be back on the course next Monday and Tuesday in Akron, Ohio at the 2013 Firestone Invitational at the Firestone Country Club.