Celebrate geography in every day life with GeoWeek

0 2

If you have ever used a phone to look up the location and details of a restaurant or store, you were using the device’s GPS – just one technological advancement based on geography.

The K-State Department of Geography is celebrating accomplishments of geography in every day life and geography in education today, with Geography Awareness Week on Nov. 17-23.

“We are encouraging people to think and learn about the significance of place, and how we affect and are affected by it,” Bill Wetherholt, doctoral candidate in geography, said. “The week tries to address that some of the social sciences aren’t taught as strongly as they should be in American education. We are trying to reverse that trend and raise public awareness of some of these disciplines.”

GeoWeek will include sidewalk chalking promotions, flyers, booths at the K-State Student Union and Hale Library, and guest speakers – including K-State alumnus John Roberts, executive director and CEO of The Natomas Basin Conservancy, and Dr. Jonnell Robinson of Syracuse University’s Maxwell School. Robinson is an assistant professor and community geographer, and has been integral in many geographical advances such as identifying teen birth rate in Onondaga County in New York.

“This is an opportunity for current students to talk to people in their field, ask questions and see how the discipline has helped them,” Wetherholt said.

K-State’s GeoWeek is part of the national Geography Awareness Week, which was started in 1987 by former President Ronald Reagan to help increase awareness of the importance of geography, and increase it within the American education system. It is official held annually during the third week in November.

The K-State GeoWeek will include:

Tuesday, Nov. 19

John Roberts- K-State Alumni and CEO of The Natomas Basin Conservancy

Career Opportunities in Restoration Ecology and Habitat Management for Geography Students

1-2 p.m., Seaton 164H

40th Anniversary of the Saint George Geographical Society

4 p.m., Kite’s Grille & Bar (Aggieville)

Wednesday, Nov. 20

Table displays with educational and promotional materials

11-1 p.m., K-State Student Union and Hale Library 2nd Floor from 11-2 p.m.

Thursday, Nov. 21

Dr. Jonnell Robinson from Syracuse University

Points, Lines and People: Plotting a Course for Community Geography

3:45 p.m., K-State Student Union Big 12 Room