New ammunition technology, R.I.P. bullet

It is being called the “one-shot man-stopper.”

AmmoZone and G2 Research joined forces and are making headlines in the gun world with their new technology- the R.I.P. (Radically Invasive Projectile) 9mm, 96 grain, hollow point bullet. It is being advertised as, “The last round you will ever need.”

“I’ve been in the ammunition business for many years and I wanted to create a round that would work well against a home intruder,” Cliff Brown, G2 Research president, told The Blaze. “There were so many stories out there about a woman trying to defend her home and having to shoot someone five or six times and they’d still come after her, we wanted to create an effective one-shot man-stopper.”

The bullet made its first impression at the Las Vegas Shooting, Hunting, and Outdoor Trade Show and in online demo videos earlier this year. According to Brown, venders were impressed; it “knocked their socks off.”

Function

What makes this hollow point bullet innovative is its patent-pending geometric design. According to the G2 Research website, the tip of the bullet consists of eight trocar-shaped petals, which upon impact, act similar to a holesaw.

The new design “allows for an ease of entry by reducing the deceleration at the point of impact, causing potential energy to be conserved, thus delivering a deadly kinetic energy wave,” according to the G2 Research website.

The website’s demo videos also show that the round acts like a full metal jacket upon impact. According to the website, “It is capable of going through barriers such as sheet rock, plywood, sheet metal or glass and still performs its original intent. The bullet shreds through solid objects and only then, expands its energy.”

The “expansion” occurs when the trocar petals separate themselves from the projectile and expand in eight different directions while flipping 180 degrees halfway along each of their paths, the site explained.

Law Enforcement Assessment

Despite the bullet’s lethal capabilities, it can’t penetrate protective vests worn by law enforcement officials, Brown told The Blaze.

Mat Droge, public information officer with the Riley County Police Department, doesn’t see the new technology as an added danger for law enforcement.

“As far as I know, it’s the caliber that matters when speaking about penetration, and our vests have been tested to withstand 9mm,” Droge said.

Currently, the only caliber that has been released is 9mm. However, G2 Research has plans to manufacture the R.I.P. round in .380 acp, .357 sig, .40 cal, .45 acp, and shotgun slugs.

Although the R.I.P. bullet presents a new level of threat, Droge reminds citizens that all ammunition presents some level of danger.

“Any round can be devastating,” he said. “A BB pellet and a .22 rifle round can kill a person. No matter the bullet, what it comes down to is responsible gun-ownership and use.”

Safety and efficiency

Keith Bowman, committee member of Friends of NRA in Johnson County, believes the bullet’s design could also help with self-defense safety and efficiency.

“Most handguns that are carried concealed are low-capacity, and this round could prove to be a more effective carry round than others because of its stopping power,” Bowman said. “There is also less chance of ricochet with a round like this.”

With less chance of ricochet, there is less of a chance that the round will indirectly hit an unintended target if the intended target is missed or the gun is misfired.

“The lesser chance of ricochet with these rounds would be a positive,” Droge said. “In the end, I hope I never see these things used on civilians or law enforcement. Violence should never be a person’s first reaction.”

Testing Review

Currently, no Manhattan stores have ordered, or stocked, the new ammunition. According to an article by KETK East Texas, the first shipment of R.I.P. ammo hit stores on Tuesday. They reported that one vendor sold out within five minutes of opening.

William Turner, owner of William Gun Works in Wichita, was allowed to purchase what he called “demo rounds” before the ammunition was released to stores.

“I tested the rounds with paper targets and a water jug. When I shot the water jug, I couldn’t find it afterwards,” Turner said. “I’ve been in the firearm industry for a while, and it is a cool round, yet devastating.”

Turner said he plans to stock the ammunition in his store.

“Most retail prices will probably be about $45 per box,” he said. “A case was found on gunbroker.com before it had been stocked in stores, and it was sold for around $300.”

Turner reported zero feeding issues when tested on a Glock-17 during his trial of the demo rounds. He said that he believes the R.I.P. ammunition will be an effective carrying round.

“Our main objective obviously isn’t to kill,” Turner said. “It is to get away. If you have one shot, this round will definitely stop a threat.”

• EarlyMon

Please stop spreading the hype about this completely OVERBLOWN and only marginally useful round.

Most of their marketing claims are absolute nonsense and what’s left has been thoroughly debunked in independent tests.

Claim 1 – it cuts like a hole saw upon impact. No. It doesn’t. It needs to travel at least 10″ to complete one rotation. There is no rotating, hole-saw action upon impact.

Claim 2 – the first CNC machined, all copper round. No. It’s not.

Claim 3 – deep penetration. Nope. It’s less effective than a .22 LR at penetrating. Independent ballistic gel tests show the trocars won’t penetrate deeper than 4″ in that test medium (designed to simulate soft tissue). The initial 4″ of ballistic gel is equivalent to the resistance produced by human skin to a bullet.

Claim 4 – imparts acoustic wave energy into the target. False. No one in the ballistics industry has any idea what “acoustic wave energy” is supposed to mean, so it means nothing. Ask any physicist what that phrase means and you’ll get a blank stare or laughter.

Claim 5 – one stop stopping power, one shot kill. No. Not unless you don’t see a doctor and die of peritonitis three days later. Or get shot in the head at close range.

Claim 6 – zero feeding problems. With all respect to your source, it jammed in a Glock during it’s first controlled test firing of 5 rounds.

The only threats presented by R.I.P. ammo are to the truth, to people’s wallets because this a very expensive round, and to anyone who tries to rely on this junk during a life and death self-defense encounter.

It’s the ballistic equivalent of bird shot fired from the smallest shotgun you can find.

And yes, I do have something positive to say – if you ever get attacked by a milk jug full of water or a watermelon or a kid’s balloon filled with paint, this is the best round in the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psGFPRpWZ3w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_27b9P0dfuI

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/02/daniel-zimmerman/g2-researchs-rip-ammo-ballistic-testing-phase-one/

And my site if you’d like to see more about what they claimed that’s not true –

http://www.ballisticallyspeaking.com/threads/g2-research-r-i-p.785/page-2

Remember – most new fishing lures are designed to only catch anglers and their money. This round works on the exact same principle.

And rather than glorify death with a box with cover art looking like a tombstone and a name infuriating to honest shooters, R.I.P. – it ought to be called R.I.P.O.F.F.

Thank you! ^.^

• Brian Vogel

You sound like you know your stuff, and would’ve appreciated the tests if they were truly independent. Right out of the box, I’m picking up on a bias against G2RIP and for Federal. Sounds like you wish you’d come up with this idea first. LOL

• EarlyMon

Sorry I came across that way.

I am not in the ammo or gun industry, but I do have over a decade and a half of experience with a broad range of weapons testing for the US Department of Defense.

I shill for no one. That’s not me in those videos, and they are an independent view by someone trusted in ballistics research.

The right self-defense ammo for you is the stuff that will let you recover quickly and repeat fire in YOUR pistol, that you’re comfortable firing at the range for practice, and that has been independently tested to show good results so you can count on them.

Fast recovery and range practice means a recoil that you’re comfortable with. You don’t want to flinch using something overpowering for you to shoot. Too many shooters practice with mild rounds, carry something hot, and flinch when they go up the scale. You don’t want to be thinking about that if you’re ever in the situation where you’re thinking about protecting your life or your family.

As for wishing I’d thought of this first – that would be impossible.

Fragmenting and frangible rounds have been around for many, many years.

They crop up every so often in the industry, have wild claims that defy physical laws, cost a lot, make it into the news, sell like hotcakes, and then go away because you can’t fool all the people all the time.

This is just the latest round in that tradition of snake oil.

As for my personal preferences, I have carried Federal before but have primarily carried Winchester ammo for the last several years. Remington recently announced their Ultimate Defense Compact Handgun round with a marketing claim of reduced muzzle flash while still maintaining good performance and I find that very interesting. If independent tests uphold their marketing claims and if it feels right and performs reliably in MY pistols, then I’ll very likely switch to that.

What we all want is a bullet that performs like a phaser. It can either kill or stun, shooter’s choice, with one shot and no questions.

Until we invent personal directed energy weapons that is not going to happen.

But the desire is there and this year, G2 is capitalizing on that. In two or three years, it’s going to be someone else.

Research shows repeatedly that the idea of the one-shot man-stopper is a myth and when you understand trauma produced by handgun rounds you’ll join the rest of us in believing that its future occurrence is very unlikely.

Here are some references on that from trauma surgeons and ballistics experts (not me, all independent) -

http://www.ballisticallyspeaking.com/threads/excellent-resource-for-wound-ballistics.837/

In my opinion, it’s better if you can end a conflict without ever firing a shot.

If you have an attacker determined to take your life, expect two things as a certain fact – 1) there is no handgun ammunition made that can guarantee an immediate one-stop shot (unless you can shoot like in the movies under stress and stop the central nervous system on the first shot), and 2) you’re likely going to need to put multiple rounds into your assailant – and the weaker your ammo, the more shots you’ll need.

If you want to trust this stuff and carry it, that’s your business. If you want to maintain a position that I’m not an honest broker, that’s your opinion and I support your right to your opinion.

If you’re new to all of this, it will cost you nothing to use my arguments as a starting point and investigate for yourself, away from the hype. And what you find and subsequently decide just might save your life.

Many thanks for questioning me – I didn’t know that I’d come across so badly, and so I’m glad to have clarified.

Cheers! ^.^

• Rowdy Wilson

marketing gimmick half the ammo for twice to four times the price of regular ammo. But OMG it looks really scary. not

• Rowdy Wilson

But Warren Buffett Tells You How to Turn $40 Into $10 Million