Wildcats Track and Field Split for Weekend Meets

0 5
(Photo by Emily DeShazer | Collegian) Senior sprinter Carlos Rodriguez strides over the finish line at the K-State Invitational on Jan. 25, in Ahearn Fieldhouse. Rodriguez finished wiht a time of 6.74 seconds and ranks 4th in the Big 12.

K-State Track and Field will split for a shot at a unique competition this weekend. The larger group will be headed to Albuquerque, N.M. for the New Mexico Collegiate Classic while a select few will be headed north to Lincoln, Neb. for the Sevigne Husker Invitational. Both of these events will span across Friday and Saturday.

The New Mexico Collegiate Classic has a stacked list of competitors for the Wildcats; the top-ranked Arkansas men’s team, the No. 6 Arkansas women as well as Texas and Washington, dominate the list of ranked opponents. In Lincoln, K-State will face off against Oklahoma, Iowa State, Nebraska, USC, Maryland, UCF and Iowa among others.

The Wildcats are a hot squad and look to continue rolling — K-State’s men hold the No. 8 spot on the poll while the women are securely in No. 11, both with perfect (4-0) records. The New Mexico Collegiate Classic will give the Wildcats a look at what the competition will be like at the NCAA Championships in mid-May at the Albuquerque Convention Center.

The men will look to their strong lead in senior Devin Dick — the first Wildcat to win the Big 12 Track and Field Athlete of the Week since senior Laura Galvan last September in cross-country. His win in the heptathlon this past weekend allowed him to bring home the honor.

The Wildcats only have one more meet before finishing their indoor season here at home for the K-State Open.