K-State gets revenge, Dominates No. 15 Texas 74-57Photo by Emily DeShazer | The Collegian Freshman guard Marcus Foster grins after topping 30 points Saturday at Bramlage Coliseum. Foster finished with a career high 34 points.

K-State gets revenge, Dominates No. 15 Texas 74-57

The K-State Wildcats have been slow out of the gate in recent games. Saturday afternoon in Bramlage Coliseum, they weren’t. In the first matchup, the Texas Longhorns stunned the Wildcats with a buzzer beater to win. The Wildcats (16-7, 6-4 Big 12) made sure that the Longhorns (18-5, 7-3 Big 12) wouldn’t get the same opportunity the second time around. Texas’ junior forward Jonathan Holmes, who hit the game winning shot against K-State, scored the first bucket of the game, that gave the Longhorns a 2-0 lead. From there, the Wildcats grabbed the lead and did not let it go. K-State took a 39-18 lead into the halftime break.

The Wildcats defense was back to playing their brand of basketball. K-State forced 18 Texas turnovers and the 57 points was the fewest they have scored all season.

Momentum Swing

It isn’t often that you can say that a team put a game away in the first five minutes of a game. The Wildcats dominance on both the offensive and defensive ends allowed the Wildcats to do just that on Saturday. After Texas scored the first basket of the game, K-State ran out to an 18-2 run. From there, the Wildcats’ lead would never fall out of double digits.

X-Factor

Freshman guard Marcus Foster did something that hasn’t been done by a K-State freshman since Michael Beasley. The Freshman from Wichita Falls, Texas finished with 34 points on a staggering 13 of 16 shots from the field.

Foster stormed out of the gates, igniting the Wildcats’ early run. After hitting two consecutive 3-pointers, the freshman phenom threw down a thunderous alley-oop dunk, scoring K-State’s first eight points. The last time a K-State freshman scored over 32 points was in 2008 when Beasley played at K-State. Foster became only one of three true freshman to score 30 points or more in school history.

Along with his 34 points, Foster grabbed three rebounds and dished out three assists.

Going Forward

After defeating the second place team in the Big 12 in Texas, the Wildcats will host the Kansas Jayhawks on Monday. The Jayhawks currently sit atop the Big 12. Tipoff is slated for 8 p.m. in Bramlage Coliseum.