Women’s basketball looking to cease road woes against TCUTaylor Alderman | The Collegian Ashia Woods, junior guard, drive the ball with Amber Battle defending her. Woods had seven rebounds on Saturday at Bramlage Coliseum against the raiders.

Women’s basketball looking to cease road woes against TCU

While the K-State men’s basketball team play hosts to TCU Wednesday, the women’s basketball team (10-14, 4-9 Big 12) make a trip to Fort Worth, Texas and Daniel-Meyer Coliseum for their own matchup against the lady Horned Frogs (14-11, 5-8 Big 12).

K-State is coming off an important 60-54 victory at home last Saturday against the Texas Tech Lady Raiders. The win snapped a three-game losing skid, and notched just the squad’s second victory in their last seven contests.

With five games remaining in the regular season, including a future meeting with the conference’s second-ranked team in West Virginia, K-State head coach Deb Patterson said she knows the importance of a game like this.

“I thought we had a great opportunity for it (a win) against Texas and fell short,” Patterson said. “Having that chance to bounce back and play in Bramlage I think was very, very big. It was great to have that feeling, and now we understand the challenge against TCU on the road. It’s big.”

Freshman guard Leticia Romero played a huge role in the Wildcats’ win on Saturday. The freshman from Spain finished with a game-high 19 points. Along with her big offensive day, Romero added half of a dozen assists and rebounds.

TCU enters Wednesday’s conference battle welcoming a return to their home court. They have dropped two-straight on the road, including last Saturday’s four-point loss to the No. 13 Mountaineers. It was the second time this year the Horned Frogs fell short of beating West Virginia, and the fourth time losing to a ranked opponent by seven points or less.

But K-State will certainly be the underdogs Wednesday. The team is just 1-7 on the road this season, falling to their opposition by an average of 23.2 points in those losses.

The Wildcats will need a well-rounded performance to take down TCU, including a quick start in the first-half. On the year, opponents’ first-half scoring is 90-points better than the lady Wildcats, compared to just 18-points better in the second half.

K-State will once again look to its dynamic freshman guard Leticia Romero to lead the way. Romero has started in every game for the team this year, averaging 14.4 points and 5.8 rebounds per game. The 5-foot-8-inch Spaniard has been responsible for 42.9 percent of K-State’s made field goals this season, making her the most consistent option at guard.

On the other side, TCU is led by sophomore guard Zahna Medley. The Illinois native ranks sixth in the Big 12 conference in scoring at 16.5 points per game and third in made 3-point field goals with 2.2 per game. She also poses a threat as a passer, tallying 3.8 assists per contests, including a season-best 10 assists against Louisiana-Monroe in November.

The game will tipoff at 7 p.m.