From ABC to KSU it’s Dancing with the K-State Stars

1
128
Photo by Parker Robb | Collegian K-State volleyball player Courtney Traxson, '13 graduate in psychology, and Jeremy Kemberling, Manhattan resident, dance their version of the west coast swing in Season 5 of Dancing with the K-State Stars February 4, 2013, at McCain Auditorium. Dancing with the K-State Stars returns for season 6 tonight at 8:00 in McCain.

Dancing with the K-State Stars is a spin-off of the reality television show, “Dancing with the Stars.” On the reality show, popular celebrities are paired with professional dancers and compete to win over America and the judges in hopes of winning.

Now, it’s “coming” to Manhattan, with a K-State spin.

The Union Programing Council will host Season 6 of Dancing Through the Decades: Dancing with the K-State Stars on Tuesday at 8 p.m. in McCain Auditorium. The event is free.

Student “stars”

The performance will consist of student dancers as the “professionals,” paired with student leaders as the “K-State Stars.”

Each pair is given a different decade and style of dance to construct their performance around. They will perform in front of the live “studio” audience, including three judges.

Judson Laipply from YouTube’s viral video, “The Evolution of Dance,” will take on two roles at the performance.

“He’s going to be a judge and he’s also going to perform,” Ross Jensby, president of UPC and senior in mass communications, said.

The student pairing with the highest score will receive a disco ball trophy. Last year, Grant Hill, student body vice president and junior in accounting at the time, and Lexie Casey, senior in elementary education at the time, won the competition.

Laipply will also speak about motivation and success in Forum Hall from 2-3 p.m. Tuesday. The event is free to the public.

A ‘balance’

The UPC Community co-chairs planned Dancing with the K-State Stars and chose this year’s contestants.

“They try to balance out campus life,” Jensby said. “They’ll get someone from the band … they ask someone from student government usually, or the K-State student ambassador.”

The committee co-chairs search for students within prominent groups and organizations on campus to be the “stars.”

“It’s really funny to see the all students dancing,” Jensby said. “It’s people you know and they’re not necessarily good dancers, but they are paired with people who are good dancers.”

The committee co-chairs took suggestions from dance professors and sent out applications to find the right experienced dancers to pair with the stars. Jamie Teixeira, junior in English, is competing in the show for the first time as one of the professional dancers.

“I got an email from the K-State dance listserv asking for people to apply,” Teixeira said. “I saw it last year and I thought it was a really exciting show that they produced … so I said, ‘Why not.’”

K-State student ambassador Chance Berndt, junior in marketing, is performing in the show as a star.

“I’m really nervous about dropping my partner,” Berndt said. “But beyond, that I’m just really excited to see everyone else’s dances … it is going to be a fantastic show.”

• Judy Mena

Dear Sirs: The show was awesome! Is it possible to know the names of the members of the jury? Thank you so much in advance!
    Judy