Wildcats snap road skid in Lubbock with 60-56 winPhoto by Parker Robb | The Collegian Freshman guard Marcus Foster scores a breakaway dunk in the first half of K-State's 65-53 victory over the Horned Frogs Wednesday in Bramlage Coliseum.

Wildcats snap road skid in Lubbock with 60-56 win

For nearly two months, the Wildcats couldn’t buy a win away from Bramlage Coliseum, that all changed on Tuesday evening. The Wildcats (19-9, 8-6 Big 12) used a second half surge to slip past the Texas Tech Red Raiders (13-15, 5-10 Big 12) 60-56.

While the home team dominated a majority of the game before a late K-State run, it was an ugly game for both teams on the offensive end. The Wildcats shot only 40.4 percent from the field while the Red Raiders shot just under 37 percent. The Red Raiders had the ball when they were down two points with 20 seconds left, but could not capitalize. In a season that the Wildcats have lost in just about every way on the road, head coach Bruce Weber’s team would not fall short again.

The physical size of the home team showed as the Red Raiders dominated the Wildcats on the glass, 34-24. However, four of the Wildcats starters finished the game with double figures in the scoring category.

X-Factor
Nothing can be said to be certain except death, taxes and freshman guard Marcus Foster leading the Wildcats in scoring again. The talented freshman finished Tuesday with 17 points. Foster had a season-low two points against the Texas Tech Red Raiders in the first game in Bramlage Coliseum. However, he is averaging just under 21 points per game since that game. Foster was fairly quiet for a majority of the game, but was one of the catalysts behind the late run that gave the Wildcats the rare road win.

Momentum Swing
Freshman guard Wesley Iwundu drove to the rim a with just under 10 minutes left to play in the game. While Iwundu sliced through the Red Raider defense, Texas Tech senior forward Jordan Tolbert yanked the freshman down, getting called for a flagrant foul. From that point, Texas Tech saw their eight-point lead diminish. K-State ran out to a 20-5 run, giving them a 54-47 lead. The Red Raiders would fight back to tie the game up with less than a minute left, but the Wildcats would not falter.

Going Forward
K-State will return to Bramlage Saturday, where they are undefeated this season in Big 12 play, to battle No. 15 Iowa State. The Cyclones will try to end the Wildcats perfect conference record in front of their home fans. Tipoff is set for 6 p.m.