K-State heads into weekend series riding 7-game win streakParker Robb | The Collegian Attempting to get a double out, Junior short stop Austin Fisher quickly passes the ball back to first base after tagging Iowa third baseman Nick Day out at second in the top of the third inning in the Wildcats' season home opener against Iowa Friday afternoon.

K-State heads into weekend series riding 7-game win streak

The last time the K-State Wildcats took the field, it appeared that their six-game winning streak could come to an end. Thanks to a wild pitch from Nebraska-Omaha, however, the Wildcats won in walk-off fashion. Now K-State (8-7) looks to keep their streak going against the Northern Colorado Bears.

“Terrible start to the season and came back and got our work done and we’re playing good baseball right now,” junior outfielder Mitch Meyer said.

K-State enters this weekend series with a 13-1 all-time record against Northern Colorado. The last time the two teams met was last season when the Bears claimed their lone win of the series. Despite their overall record being 5-13 on the season, they are 3-3 in their last six contests.

After starting the season with a 1-7 record, the Wildcats have battled back to find their record over .500 for the first time this season. The seven game winning streak is the longest since 2012 for K-State. This is the sixth time under Brad Hill that the Wildcats have rattled off seven straight wins. The last time the Wildcats won more than seven in a row was in 2006 when K-State won 16 straight games.

The Wildcats are getting it done in all facets of the game over the past seven games. During their hot streak, the Wildcats are outscoring their opponents 54-25. The team, famously termed the “Bat Cats” last season, have found their hitting stride again this season as they’ve batted .306 since their last loss. As far as arms go, the Wildcats have showed plenty of depth. K-State pitchers have a combined 3.00 earned run average while opposing pitchers have a combined 6.90 ERA.

A big reason for the Wildcats win streak has been the play of junior short stop Austin Fisher. The junior leads the team with a .375 batting average so far this season. Along with Fisher, junior infielder Shane Conlon has been a pivotal part of the Wildcats’ offense. Conlon has found his way on base at least once in the last 14 games.

On the mound for the Wildcats to start the series will be sophomore Levi MaVorhis boasting a 2-1 record along with a 3.70 ERA. Senior Jared Moore, who leads the Wildcats in both record and ERA will start on Saturday before sophomore Landon Busch will be called upon to close out the weekend on Sunday.

First pitch of the series is scheduled for tonight at 6:30 p.m. CT at Tointon Family Stadium.