OCR investigating K-State for handling of sexual violence

K-State has been added to the list of universities with open Title IX sexual violence investigations by the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights. The list, first published in May, is part of an effort to increase transparency of the government’s enforcement of sexual assault laws on campus, according to a press release by the Department of Education.

Initially, 55 schools were named when the list was first published. The University of Kansas was added to the list in July. K-State was added Aug. 4. The OCR opens investigations due to complaints received by the agency, or as part of compliance reviews. According to a Huffington Post article, the investigation into K-State stemmed from a complaint received by the OCR. The agency will not disclose any details of the investigation.

Editor’s note: This story was updated to include new information Aug. 24 at 2:38 p.m.

Hi, I'm Jon Parton, senior in political science. In the span of two years, I have received 12 journalism awards, including honors from the Society of Professional Journalism, the Kansas Association of Broadcasters and the United Nations Association of the United States. I want to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. Believer of the First Amendment, worshipper of the holy AP Stylebook, defender of the coffee pot and mortal enemy of the oxford comma.