OCR investigating K-State for handling of sexual violence

0
115

K-State has been added to the list of universities with open Title IX sexual violence investigations by the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights. The list, first published in May, is part of an effort to increase transparency of the government’s enforcement of sexual assault laws on campus, according to a press release by the Department of Education.

Initially, 55 schools were named when the list was first published. The University of Kansas was added to the list in July. K-State was added Aug. 4. The OCR opens investigations due to complaints received by the agency, or as part of compliance reviews. According to a Huffington Post article, the investigation into K-State stemmed from a complaint received by the OCR. The agency will not disclose any details of the investigation.

Editor’s note: This story was updated to include new information Aug. 24 at 2:38 p.m.

Hi! I'm Jon Parton, senior in journalism and minoring in insomnia. My hobbies include kicking ass, taking names, and keeping accurate notes about the ass-kicking and name-taking. My favorite journalists are Hunter S. Thompson and Mark Twain. I think the best journalism is the one that brings about lasting societal change.