By the Numbers: K-State vs. Stephen F. Austin

4: Team captains for K-State who are former walk-ons

Four of K-State’s six team captains – Ryan Mueller, Jonathan Truman, B.J. Finney and Weston Hiebert – came to the school with no scholarships. Mueller and Finney have both earned national honors for their play.

6.15: Yards per carry Stephen F. Austin’s senior running back Gus Johnson averaged in his past two seasons

Johnson is the heart of the the Lumberjacks offensive attack. The two-time All-Southland Conference running back had a slight dip in his production in 2013, but still ran for 1,061 yards and 11 touchdowns. The team’s quarterback situation is a question mark for the first time in six seasons, which puts even more pressure on Johnson to have a great year.

11: Wins during each season that head coach Bill Snyder has the previous year’s starting quarterback return since 1998

Senior quarterback Jake Waters will have statistics on his side as he starts the season. The last four returning starters at quarterback for the Wildcats have seen their yards per game jump by 30.6 and their completion percentage jump by 5 percent.

25: Players on the Lumberjack’s 70-man roster that are new to the team

Stephen F. Austin fans will need to keep the roster nearby with 25 new players on the team. Fourteen of those 25 players made the two-deep roster. All this inexperience springs from a coaching change that occurred in the offseason. There is no shortage of new faces on the sidelines for the Lumberjacks.

49.3: Points per game allowed by Stephen F. Austin in 2013

The Lumberjacks’ defense last season was anything but elite. In addition to giving up 49.3 points per game, they also surrendered 527.8 yards per game. They now have a new defensive coordinator and new scheme, making the 4-2-5 their base defense. The Wildcats’ offense proved it was more than capable of scoring last season, averaging 33.2 points per game.

156.8: Pass efficiency of Jake Waters in 2013

Jake Waters was the second-most efficient quarterback in the Big 12 last season, behind Baylor’s Bryce Petty. In the bowl game against Michigan, Waters was 21 for 27 and averaged 10 yards per pass. If he can pick up where he left off, K-State has a good chance of victory on Saturday.