Photo by George Walker | The Collegian

Grading the game, notes from K-State’s 55-16 win

OFFENSE: A-

The K-State offense certainly had it’s bright spots on Saturday night. Senior quarterback Jake Waters looked especially sharp, with improved decision making. He was able to pull the ball down and scramble multiple times. Waters’ also did a nice job of passing to the running back when his receivers were covered. Waters had 223 yards, two touchdowns, and an interception on the night.

The Wildcats had an effective ground attack by committee against the Lumberjacks. The team combined for 240 yards. Waters and sophomore Charles Jones had 55 yards and two touchdowns each. Jones did most of his damage out of the Wildcat formation. He showed good vision and hit the hole hard. Senior DeMarcus Robinson also played with the first team players and racked up 49 yards.

Overall, K-State’s offense was solid but not dominant. They didn’t hang 70 points on a lesser team like elite offenses do, but they only went three-and-out twice. They were efficient and scored on nine out of their 13 possessions.

DEFENSE: B

The Wildcat defense came out and stifled Stephen F. Austin at times. At other moments they looked relatively shaky. On the first three possessions, K-State was physically dominant, and allowed just 21 yards. On the next two possessions, the Lumberjacks gained a combined 149 yards and scored 10 points.

The biggest concern for the K-State defense was giving up the big play. They gave up four gains of 30 yards or more on the night. Many offenses in the Big 12 are explosive, so that’s something the Wildcats must shore up before they get into the meat of conference play.

There are definitely positives for the Wildcats to take moving forward. They had three sacks and forced two fumbles. One of those fumbles led to points for Jake Waters and company.

Bill Snyder’s team played a solid game defensively, but it was nothing special. There is room for improvement, but also not too much room for complaints.

SPECIAL TEAMS: A

K-State’s special teams did not score, but they played a very good game. On three kickoff returns, the Wildcats gained 105 yards. Their average starting field position was their own 44. Stephen F. Austin had 105 kickoff return yards on seven attempts. The Lumberjacks’ average starting field position was their own 25. That discrepancy shows just how much better the home team was in the third phase of the game.

BY THE NUMBERS:

40 – Games in a row that K-State has come out on top after leading at halftime.

55 – Points scored by the Wildcats in the home opener, the most since Sept. 22, 2001.

478 – Yards of total offense–the most by the Wildcats since Nov. 3, 2012.

52,380 – Fans in Bill Snyder Family Stadium on Saturday. That tied for eighth most in program history.

QUOTE OF THE NIGHT:

“I never saw their punter, but I’m sure he’s a nice young man,” Stephen F. Austin coach Clint Conque said in regards to K-State’s ability to keep its punter off the field.