Interesting national and world headlines 9/2

0
49

Airport “Terminal Expansion Project” goes before city commission

The Manhattan City Commission is schedule to vote on a $6.68 Million contract to expand the passenger terminal at Manhattan Regional Airport as part of the second phase of construction, according to Tuesday’s agenda.

Also on the agenda is the vote to allow City Administration to purchase furniture, fixtures and equipment for phases one and two of the project, in the amount of $299,471. The City Commission meeting is scheduled to take place at 7:00 p.m. at city hall, and is open to the public.

KCI terminal evacuated, reopened after bomb threat

Terminal B of Kansas City International Airport was temporarily closed Sunday after a man approached an airport employee and said there was a bomb in a car parked along a curb in front of the airport.

According to a KSHB-TV article, the man was taken into custody on the scene, and the terminal evacuated, causing one flight to be cancelled and multiple others to be delayed. The bomb ended up being a hoax, and the terminal was reopened at 8:30 p.m. Sunday night.

9 year-old dies in sand collapse

A nine year-old girl died Friday, after a hole she was digging in the sand on a Lincoln City beach collapsed and buried her.

Isabela Grace Franks, 9, was pronounced dead at a Lincoln City, Oregon hospital after firefighters and police dug her out.

“Her and her siblings were digging a big hole in the sand,” Lincoln City police Sgt. Brian Eskridge said in a CNN article. “She was sitting inside, and the hole collapsed. We believe she was under the sand around five minutes.”

Rams release Michael Sam

Michael Sam, who in May became the first openly gay player to be drafted into the NFL, was cut Saturday as the St. Louis Rams announced their final 53-man roster before the start of the NFL regular season, according to a CNN article published Sunday.

Sam, a former All-American defensive end at the University of Missouri, was drafted in the final round of this year’s draft. He is now allowed to seek employment with other NFL teams, either on their game rosters or on their practice squads.

Israel claims 990 acres of land

Israel announced Sunday its intentions to make approximately 990 acres in land around the Wadi Fukin valley near Bethlehem into “state land,” according to a CNN article published on Monday.

The land is part of what is considered Palestinian territory in the West Bank, according to the article. The area is equivalent to a little over 1.5 square miles. If Israel succeeds, the new area will be available for industrial development and settlement by Israeli citizens. According to the article, farmers have 45 days to appeal.

UK foreign secretary Philip Hammond criticized Israel for the action, saying in a Sept. 1 press release that the move was ill-timed.

“This is a particularly ill-judged decision that comes at a time when the priority must be to build on the ceasefire in Gaza,” Hammond said in the statement. “It will do serious damage to Israel’s standing in the international community.”

Shelton Burch
Shelton grew up in the desert southwest. A native of Lancaster, California, he mostly grew up in south Phoenix, Arizona; Austin, Texas; and Colorado Springs, Colorado before moving to Kansas and graduating from Junction City High School. He started working as a news writer for the Collegian in 2009 before taking a three-year break from college. He returned to K-State in 2013 and has since worked for the news desk, feature desk, as a copy editor and now as a sports writer. He enjoys tap dancing, writing anything possible, reading court opinions and watching Arizona Coyotes hockey.