Health resources at K-State

0
133
Holton Hall is home to the Student Access Center, which helps students with disabilities to be able to access all aspects of university life. (Caitlyn Massey | The Collegian)

Coming to college can be exciting. For most of us, it means moving away from our hometown and taking on more responsibilities. An example of such a responsibility is making sure you stay healthy, without having your parents around to make decisions for you. But what groceries do you buy? Which doctor should you see?

K-State has the facilities and resources to help you with these problems.

Lafene Health Center

Lafene Health Center is your destination for most health-related inquiries. According to its website, Lafene serves as a resource for health and wellness education and offers outpatient care. Privilege fees students pay each semester help keep costs low and covers student charges during the semester. Lafene offers services such as diabetic care, immunizations, sports medicine, physical therapy/rehab and a pharmacy. Lafene also has a department dedicated to helping students fulfill their nutrition needs and is a resource for anyone struggling with body image issues.

“The care at Lafene is easily accessible to all students,” Julie Gibbs, director of health promotion at Lafene, said.

Counseling services

The K-State Counseling Services is where students can receive help on private and sensitive issues. Counseling Services deal with alcohol and drug education, cultural diversity, sexual orientation, religion, eating disorders and overall mental health. All enrolled students are eligible for individual counseling which is often paid for through the tuition privilege fee.

It is important to understand that you don’t have to be sick to come in for a consultation and no problem is too small when it comes to your health. According to records from last year, two-thirds of the students that visited Counseling Services did so to treat anxiety.

“Counseling Services strives to offer a safe environment where no one is judged,” Laurie Wesely, assistant director of Counseling Services, said.

Student Access Center

The Student Access Center is K-State’s resource for students with disabilities. The office provides services on a case-by-case basis, to make sure the university experience is available to all students.

“Eligible students with disabilities may receive accommodations such as extended time on exams or rides across campus for students with a temporary injuries such as a broken leg,” Andrea Blair, director of the center, said. “Disabilities include, but are not limited to, learning disabilities, attention deficit disorder, anxiety, depression and physical/medical conditions.”

K-State is here for its students, and is doing everything it can to help students excel. There are many resources available at K-State that are structured to give students the best experience they can while keeping them well and healthy. So don’t be afraid to reach out and ask for help.