OPINION: A life of hunting is not a wrong one

6
205
Opinion graphic

From the clothes we wear to the food we eat, our daily lives would be completely changed if it weren’t for hunting. To me, hunting is a way of life and an animal’s purpose is to serve the needs of the people.

It is because of these reasons that I believe hunting animals is not wrong.

Collisions with animals, mainly deer, can be seen through sharp rises in insurance claims – especially in the fall. The average cost of an animal-strike claim for 2001-14 model cars under comprehensive coverage from 2004-13 was $2,730, according to the Nov. 6, 2012 Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Highway Loss Data Institute report, “Colliding with Deer is Costly, Especially for Some Vehicles.”

State Farm Insurance estimates that between July 1, 2001 and June 30, 2012 there were approximately 1.23 million deer-vehicle collisions in the U.S that cost over $4 billion in vehicle damage, according to the Oct. 24, 2012 Insurance Journal article, “Car and Deer Collisions Cause 200 Deaths, Cost $4 Billion a Year,”

The 2007 Blackwell Publishing text “Key Topics in Conservation Biology” identifies three different categories of hunting: subsistence, commercial and sport. Subsistence hunters kill animals for food, skins and bones. In early history, it was essential to providing basic necessities.

Commercial hunting is often referred to as an economic activity. It begins with the subsistence hunter who sells the surplus of an animal to a specific region. Many farmers have been encouraged to raise domestic animals with their livestock, because of the commercial value that game birds and mammals possess.

Sport hunters kill animals for the enjoyment of it, not for food or profit. Sport hunting is most controversial out of all the different types of hunting. PETA has said they believe that sport hunting is a play on words to ignore the fact that it is really just a “cruel, needless killing spree.”

“To me, it’s not about killing or competing against the animals because I care about the wildlife,” Grant Srajer, freshman in business administration, said. “I enjoy hunting because it is fun seeing how different types of wildlife go about their life. I love getting up early in the morning and experiencing nature!”

Hunters are passionate about their pastime, and they spend passionately too. They are a driving economic force, making them one of the most prominent and influential of all demographic groups.

I am not ready to give up my daily necessities, like fur coats that keep me warm in the winter, leather work gloves and protein from meat that the hunters provide. Are you?

Makenzie Deines is a sophomore in agricultural communications and journalism.

• Kim Marie

I believe that it is not right to harm another living thing, let alone take another’s life. Period.

• Rose Louise

An animal’s purpose is his or her own. And the daily necessities referenced here are easily found outside the realm of hunting. Synthetic fabrics keep me toasty in the winter, synthetic fabrics provide my durable gloves, and plants provide me with ample protein. Camping, hiking, and kayaking allow me to experience nature and watch wildlife go about their lives.

• Bobbie M.

“Sport hunters kill animals for the enjoyment of it.” Yeah, that pretty much sums up why it’s wrong.

• Thank you for opening up this very interesting conversation and for being so candid in your observations. Please help me understand what you are saying when you make the following statement “an animal’s purpose is to serve the needs of the people.” Would you mind sharing the source of that insight? Is this a biological statement, a social statement, a philosophical statement or a spiritual statement. Does “an animal’s purpose is to serve the needs of the people.” have a science based foundation or is it an opinion? Science can often be shared by people with many different philosophical viewpoints. Opinions are more personal and are not usually the basis of a statement that is made to look factual.

• Heather Moore

Same mentality as the people who think that blacks were put here to serve whites. I’m sure some people believe that children are here to make them money working in sweatshops, too, but they’re wrong. Each individual has a purpose, but it’s not determined by how much pleasure their suffering causes another individual.

• CitizenKate

To all the bashers:
    1) I’m a gardener. I exploit living beings for my enjoyment and to improve my quality of life. I take GREAT pleasure in harvesting my produce and consuming it. However, to get what I want from them, I first have to provide an environment that allows them to thrive and grow. How’s that different from hunting animals for food? Wildlife management is as important to the well-being of the populations of animals as it is to those who take animals for food. If you say, it’s different because animals are a higher life form and sentient, you are arrogantly mistaken. Scientists are discovering that plants are more conscious and “feeling” than we ever imagined before. If that’s true, what does that do to your “ethics”? What then shall we eat? Man-made chemicals? The idea that harvesting animals for food is somehow wrong or unethical will lead to dysfunction of the human race. Having to consume another life in order for us to live is part of how the world works. This is not a man-made code. Every animal on earth lives by it. However, if you are okay with starving or poisoning yourself to death, you certainly have that choice.
    2) To say something is “wrong” is really just to say “I don’t personally like it,” but some people think that saying it is “wrong” somehow evokes more authority, so people have no choice but to “obey”. Sounds like some churches I know about. You know how well that has worked out for them.
    3) Try preaching your “ethics” to the other omnivorous and carnivorous species. See how far that goes.

4) I personally don’t hunt, but I agree with the author that hunting is a necessary part of keeping wildlife populations healthy. I would rather see the life of a deer or elk taken cleanly and quickly, rather than see them slowly starve to death because their populations are allowed to grow out of control and overload their habitat. Or get hit by moving vehicles and slowly die from their injuries.