OPINION: Safe sext is great sex

0
413

So, it seems that I have caught your attention somewhere around “sext.” That’s great, because those arguing that the only safe way to sext is to abstain from it altogether resemble the dated, usually religious arguments that we should be teaching up-and-coming generations that abstinence is the only solution to practicing safe sex. Just ignore those fussy hormones, and please remember to clean up your dried tissues. You know, from the sexually-repressed crying.

One surefire way to get someone to want to do something is to keep hammering into them that they can’t. Instead of telling someone they shouldn’t sext or that there is no way it can be done safely is like telling Eve to not eat from the forbidden tree, and look where that left us: naked, incredibly sexual and horrible sinners. Something we can do for ourselves in our sinning ways is to not feel unnecessarily guilty about things that aren’t really sins … like sexting.

For one, sexting is inevitable for those enduring long-distance relationships. There is such a large military population living at Fort Riley, 7,761 people to be exact, according to the 2010 U.S. Census Bureau. We can not expect those who have deployed spouses to get by without a little digital foreplay.

K-State is also made up of 7,185 out-of-state students. All of those students aren’t bound to be in relationships, but it’s safe to say many of them are and are sexting to keep the spark, regardless of distance.

For the sake of the argument, let’s allow young adults to sext … now what? Instead of saying they can’t, why not teach a digital sex-education class to better inform people of the potential consequences that could be the result of sexting? Revenge pornography, leaked nudes and an onslaught of criticism from anyone who sees them are some of the consequences of not practicing safe sexting. We would have a real sticky situation on our hands if a naked photo or video falls into the wrong ones.

Let’s not forget about the consequences, however, of practicing unsafe sex; you know, the face-to-face kind. In 2013, there were 1,752,633 reported cases of the sexually transmitted diseases Chlamydia, Gonorrhea and Syphilis, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Sure, public humiliation from leaked nudes is pretty horrifying, but I would take that over a painful or burning sensation when I pee and a whole bunch of other symptoms I don’t really want to list because, quite frankly, they’re even more disgusting.

For all my very literal readers out there, I’m not suggesting that those who sext are destined to be STD free by doing so. I’m simply suggesting that one isn’t necessarily worse than the other. Pushing the idea of abstinence in both digital and actual sex lives is never going to keep people safe, rather, education and expanding knowledge about it will.