Q-and-A with Danielle Kemper

0
76
Danielle Kemper, freshman from Gilbert, AZ was K-State's alternate rider in horsemanship during the meet against Baylor at Timbercreek Stables on Oct. 5, 2012. (File Photo by Allen Eyestone | The Collegian)

The Collegian caught up with senior Danielle Kemper during practice as the K-State Equestrian team prepares to take on No. 3 Baylor at home on Oct. 30.

What was it that really sold you on coming to K-State?

I really liked the team atmosphere when I came and visited. They were all super friendly and really welcoming. It was almost like I was already on the team when I had my visit.

Comparing campuses, I really liked the closeness of campus to everything. I didn’t have to travel far to get from class to class.

What’s something you would want someone who is unfamiliar with the sport of equestrian to know?

The question that everyone is surprised with is that we don’t travel with horses. It’s not like the team that has the best horses wins all the time. It’s the team with the best riders that can make the best out of each horse when they travel.

What’s been the highlight of your career at K-State?

It would be my freshman year, when we were reserve at nationals for the Western team and reserves at Big 12. That was just really cool. It was just crazy to feel all that energy in everything from everyone.

When did you first become interested in horses?

I was 6 years old when I got my first horse. My mom and I both got a horse, and that was just it. I took off from there.

Equestrian aside, what’s your second favorite sport?

I really enjoy watching football. I’ve always watched it. It’s always been me and my dad growing up and we’d always watch it every Sunday and everything. I always go for the Arizona Cardinals, I’m from there. I also enjoy watching the Dallas Cowboys. But, always the Cardinals. Blood, right?

What song gets you the most pumped up for competition and why?

The song I always listen to … it’s kind of like a mashup. It’s kind of like the song, “Get on My Level.” It gets me on that confidence level of “I can do whatever I put my mind to” and everything and just push it as far as I can.

If you could be ruler of the world, what laws would you make?

Everyone should start playing any sport and get in an organization when they’re in elementary school. People should get a team atmosphere and an organizational atmosphere.

What does the future hold for you?

I’m going to graduate next December and then I’m hoping to get a job in the ag field running a business for a vet clinic or a rehab clinic.