K-State 48 Hour Film Festival kicks off today

0
100
(Courtesy of K-State 48 Film Festival)

The first K-State 48 Hour Film Festival launches at 7 p.m. today as teams of students compete to make a short film in only 48 hours. The festival kickoff will be held at the Leadership Studies Building from 6-8 p.m.

Rusty Earl, video producer for Catalyst Technology and Media Services within the College of Education, said 12 teams are already signed up, and he expects two more to sign up at today’s kickoff.

Any current students at any K-State campus can form a team to enter the event. No prior experience is required to enter, but teams will have to shoot and edit video as part of the competition, Earl said.

The film festival does not provide equipment to contestants, but Earl said equipment can be checked out from the Media Development Center at Hale Library.

Earl said videos may be of any theme or style but must contain the three elements that will be announced at the kickoff. Those elements include a prop, a line of dialogue and a location. Additionally, no copyrighted music is permitted.

When the event starts at 7 p.m., contestants have 48 hours to produce an entire two to six minute film. A full list of rules is available on the festival’s website.

Teams have until 7 p.m. Saturday to finish their videos. After that, the judges will choose their top three films. A screening of the films and an awards ceremony will be held on April 9.

Winners will receive gift cards to B&H Photo Video, a video equipment retailer, and the audience choice award winner will receive tickets to the Tallgrass Film Festival, Earl said.

Jason Tidd
Jason Tidd graduated from Kansas State University's Miller School of Journalism and Mass Communication in May 2017. He was the spring 2017 editor-in-chief, fall 2016 news editor and spring 2016 assistant news editor. While at K-State, Jason played baritone in the Pride of Wildcat Land marching band.