Wildcat rowing team falls short in Sunflower Showdown

0
65
Sophomore Noelle Dykmann warms up while senior Meggie Murray concentrates on Apr. 8, 2015 at Tuttle Creek Lake in Manhattan. (File Photo by Rodney Dimick | The Collegian)

The K-State rowing team has dealt with difficult rowing conditions all spring, and Saturday’s Sunflower Showdown proved no different.

The Wildcat’s fell to the Kansas Jayhawks 22-0 after losing all five races on a blustery Saturday at Wyandotte County Lake in Kansas City, Kansas.

“It was disappointing because we did not show up to race,” head coach Patrick Sweeney said to K-State Sports.

After winning five straight showdowns against their in-state rivals, the Wildcats have now lost for the second season in a row.

Sweeney said the Jayhawks outperformed the Wildcats.

“(Kansas) deservedly beat us,” Sweeney said. “Their crews were going over two to three beats higher than us. Our kids did not come sharp enough and now they have two weeks to get their minds in gear before Big 12s.”

Kansas set the tone for the day by winning Saturday morning’s 3V8 race, earning them two points. The Wildcats finished with a time of 7:57.9, five seconds behind Kansas.

The 1V4 and 2V4 races were no different with the Jayhawks getting five more points to take a 7-0 lead on the day.

The 1V8 and 2V8 races were the only two races left for the Wildcats to make a comeback. However, the two races proved to be no different than the first three, as K-State lost both races, losing Saturday’s competition 22-0.

With only the Big 12 Championships remaining, the Wildcats hope to turn it around in the same manner they did a year ago.

“We saw the same thing happen last year after the Sunflower Showdown,” Sweeney said. “We will have to do that again this year if we want to be competitive at Big 12s.”

The Big 12 Championships will be held May 14-15 on Melton Hill Lake in Oak Ridge, Tennessee.

I am a senior in Journalism. I like sports and things.