K-State rowing team finishes fall season Sunday

0
67
The varsity rowing team practices on April 8, 2015, at Tuttle Creek Lake in Manhattan. (File Photo by Rodney Dimick | The Collegian)

K-State is heading into its second regatta of the season Sunday when the team heads to Lawrence to compete in the Jayhawk Jamboree.

The Wildcats last competed in the Head of the Oklahoma regatta earlier this month, competing against Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Tulsa and UMass.

It was a strong team performance by the Wildcats on the Oklahoma River, as it resulted in both the novice and varsity team taking home the gold.

For those unfamiliar with rowing, the competition traditionally consists of eight women boats, competing at a distance of about 2,000 meters, or 1.3 miles. Two different groupings compete as well within the regatta — the novice, which includes first-year collegiate rowers or transfers, and the varsity squad, consisting of returning athletes.

Both groups are headed into Lawrence with some momentum. The varsity crew looks to improve on its fifth place finish last year. The novice squad looks to build off its impressive performance at last year’s Jayhawk Jamboree, claiming a third-place finish.

K-State will have plenty of time to rest up following the Jayhawk Jamboree as the Wildcats practice through the winter for their first race in the spring against Oklahoma, which is set for March 4.