Young K-State rowers continue to dominate

0
146
The rowing team gets ready for the next stroke on April 8, 2015, at Tuttle Creek Lake in Manhattan. (File Photo by Rodney Dimick | The Collegian)

The Kansas State rowing team had a good day in Lawrence, Kansas, yesterday when it took home a gold and a bronze in the Jayhawk Jamboree.

“The varsity boats will line up differently than they did at the Head of the Oklahoma,” head coach Patrick Sweeney said to K-State Sports before the event. “The novice boats will be the same so they can continue to grow.”

The novice crew did just that, kicking the day off for the Wildcats on the right note. Topping last year’s third place performance, the K-State rowers took home the gold in dominating fashion, finishing with a time of 14:00.31.

“The Novice 8 win today showed us that we have some young talent,” Sweeney said to K-State Sports after the race. “The Varsity 4 ‘A’ that finished in third place was also good. I felt that we are not where we need to be technically. We will now begin to focus on that.”

During the Varsity 4, K-State managed to edge out one of the Oklahoma teams to take home the bronze medal. It was another good outing by the Wildcats, finishing with a time of 14:10.01. K-State also had three other boats competing in this event, placing 13th, 19th and 20th.

K-State’s Varsity 8 seemed to struggle Sunday afternoon. The Varsity 8 did not top last year’s fifth-place finish, taking eighth place in a tightly packed race. They also placed boats in 12th, 14th and 16th.

“The team is physically in a good place but we are not getting all of our ability into the stroke,” Sweeney said to K-State Sports. “We need to work on being efficient at producing boat speed every stroke. We will also spend time working on this while continuing to get fitter and stronger.”

This was the final race of the fall season for the team. They will compete next on March 4, when the Wildcats head to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.