Update on accidental shooting in K-State residence hall

0
1691

The Kansas State student who suffered an accidental, self-inflicted gunshot wound on Jan. 22 was a 19-year-old male who lived in Goodnow Hall, according to a K-State update this morning.

K-State Police were called at 8:10 p.m on Jan. 22 to the student’s room and determined the injury was related to a firearm discharge. The police are currently investigating criminal charges. According to the University Weapons Policy, the possession of firearms are prohibited both on campus and in any K-State residence halls.

The student, whose name has not been released, was transported to an area hospital for his self-inflicted injuries and his last known condition was stable.

No further information will be released by K-State officials, according to their update, because of the ongoing police investigation.

K-State’s concealed carry policy, which was changed by the university due to Kansas law and was approved by the Regents in December, will go into effect on July 1, 2017. The policy states that no university location will be designated as “prohibiting concealed carry with permanent adequate security measures.”

In October 2016, a student stabbed his roommate in Marlatt Hall. In July 2016, police investigated a possible student suicide at Jardine Apartments. In April 2016, a student veteran committed suicide on campus.

Kaitlyn Alanis
Hi, I'm Kaitlyn Alanis, former news editor for the Collegian and a May 2017 graduate in agricultural communications and journalism. I have never tried a hamburger and I hate the taste of coffee, but I love writing stories and sharing what I learn with our readers. By writing for the Collegian, I can now not only sing along when the K-State Band plays "The Band is Hot," but I also know that most agriculture students did not grow up on a farm, how to use an AED to save someone's life and why there is a bust of MLK Jr. outside of Ahearn Field House. Thanks for reading!