Demolition training at Fort Riley expected to create ‘significant noise’

0
3194
Fort Riley hosted the annual Apple Festival on-base. There were many different family friendly activities hosted, one of which was stationary Army vehicles where anyone could climb in them and look around. Sgt. Mathwich explains to a Boy Scout about the interior of the M1A1 Abrams main battle tank. (File photo from 2011 by Chelsy Lueth)

If your windows are shaking and you hear loud noises in the distance a little more than usual, it might be the demolition training at Fort Riley and the 1st Infantry Division.

According to Fort Riley’s website, a noise and training advisory is in effect Feb. 2-12.

“Training could yield significant noise from tank, artillery and mortar certification fire, and explosions due to demolition training,” the website states.

For Feb. 2-10, the scheduled training is expected to create “significant noise” during all hours of the day.

For Feb. 11-12, “significant noise” is expected from 12:30 a.m. to midnight.

“Fort Riley and the 1st Infantry Division appreciate the enormous sacrifices made by our neighbors as we train for the defense of our country,” the website states. “Among those sacrifices is the occasional disruption of daily life by the sometimes intrusive noise caused by on-post training. Sometimes this fast-paced training results in loud artillery, low-flying aircraft, weapons or demolition noise.”

Neighbors with concerns “regarding noise, vibration, excessive dust, low-flying aircraft and/or maneuver damage from the Fort Riley area” are encouraged to contact Fort Riley’s Community Relations department by calling (785) 239-3033 or by email at [email protected].

Fort Riley’s Public Affairs did not respond to a phone call request for comment by 10 p.m. on Feb. 6.

Kaitlyn Alanis
Hi, I'm Kaitlyn Alanis, former news editor for the Collegian and a May 2017 graduate in agricultural communications and journalism. I have never tried a hamburger and I hate the taste of coffee, but I love writing stories and sharing what I learn with our readers. By writing for the Collegian, I can now not only sing along when the K-State Band plays "The Band is Hot," but I also know that most agriculture students did not grow up on a farm, how to use an AED to save someone's life and why there is a bust of MLK Jr. outside of Ahearn Field House. Thanks for reading!