K-State track and field teams split for dual meets this weekend

0
46
Freshmen Lauren Taubert and Morgan Coffman compete in the 800-meter race at the DeLoss Dodds Invitational at Ahearn Field House on Jan. 20, 2017. (File Photo by Maddie Domnick | The Collegian)

The Kansas State track and field team will split up this weekend as the No. 13-ranked women and the men’s teams will participate in two meets at the Iowa State Classic in Ames, Iowa, and at the Tyson Invitational in Fayetteville, Arkansas, this weekend.

At the Iowa State Classic, the meet will begin at 11 a.m. on Friday and will start at noon on Saturday, while the invitational in Arkansas starts at 2:30 p.m. on Friday and at 3 p.m. on Saturday.

“This weekend typically serves as a pretty good window as to how we match up at the conference, as well as national level,” director of track and field and cross country Cliff Rovelto said to K-State Sports. “Pretty much everyone will have competed by this weekend. Both meets are high-quality affairs and great tests.”

Last season, K-State sent a large group to the meet in Fayetteville, where sophomore Terrell Smith broke a school record in the 200-meter dash. Senior Morgan Wedekind competed in the Iowa State Classic, posting a personal best in the 3,000 meter run with a time of 9:43.20.

During that weekend, the Wildcats had three first-place finishes in Smith and Wedekind, who made personal bests.

It was just last week that K-State saw good performances in the Sevigne Husker Invitational. Freshman Nina Schultz won the pentathlon with a score of 4,271 points. This was the third-best score in program history, and earlier this week she received Big 12 Athlete of the Week honors. Senior Brady Grunder won in the weight throw for the sixth straight meet with a throw of 21.06 meters.

On day two, junior Lukas Koch won the mile with a time of 4:05.95 and was the first Wildcat to break into the top 10 since 2006.

The Iowa State Classic will be broadcast live on FloTrack and the Tyson Invitational can be seen on the SEC Network+.