Wildcat track and field finishes strong in duo of meets

0
50
Lauren Taubert, freshman in psychology, makes an attempt to make it over the high jump at the Deloss Dodds Invitational on Jan 20, 2017. (File Photo by Regan Tokos | The Collegian)

There is a new triple jump leader at Kansas State and that is freshman Shardia Lawrence. Her jump of 13.75 meters at the Iowa State Classic puts her atop the leaderboard in school history, passing Chaytan Hill, and is the third best in Division I this season. Six more Wildcats recorded personal bests at the classic and at the Tyson Invitational this past weekend.

“Obviously, there were some good individual performances today,” director of track and field and cross country Cliff Rovelto said to K-State Sports. “We had some folks coming off injuries that performed well, which is encouraging going into the conference meet. We are also behind in some areas from where we should be, so we have some fine-tuning to do over the next couple of weeks.”

Lawrence finished in second, behind Yanis David from Florida.

It was also a good day for junior Christoff Bryan, who dominated the men’s high jump with a jump of 2.20 meters.

In the running events, sophomore Ranae McKenzie had a personal best in the 400 meter dash with a time of 54.18 seconds, which was good for second.

Sophomore Kurt Loevenstein got third in his heat of the 800 meter run and had a personal best of 1:50.51 for 20th overall. Freshman Travis Hodge crossed the finish line with a time of 1:52.20, which was a personal best as well.

Junior Sam Oxandale finished very strong in the half mile as he made up six spots and finished in sixth in his heat and 22nd overall with a personal best of 4:12.77.

The Wildcats had three freshman run in the 60 meter hurdles and advanced to the finals. Nina Schultz finished in third with a time of 8.46 while Ariel Okorie ended In sixth at 8.59 and Lauren Taubert crossed the finish line at 8.87, which was good enough for eighth.

K-State will return home for the Steve Miller Open on Feb. 17 in Ahearn Field House. It will be their final indoor meet before the Big 12 Championship.