K-State track and field holds final meet at home before Big 12 championships

0
48
Freshman Lauren Taubert throws shot put at the DeLoss Dodds Invitational at Ahearn Field House on Jan. 20, 2017. (File Photo by Maddie Domnick | The Collegian)

After three straight road meets, the Wildcats head back home today for the Steve Miller Open in Ahearn Field House. It will be their final meet before the Big 12 Indoor Championships next weekend.

The Wildcats are coming off a successful weekend at two different meets. Part of the team competed in the Iowa State Classic in Ames, Iowa, and the other part competed at the Tyson Invitational in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

K-State saw 12 different athletes at the two meets set personal bests, including sophomore Shardia Lawrence, who broke a 13-year-old school record in the triple jump on her way to a second place finish. Junior Christoff Bryan won the men’s high jump, which was the only individual title for the Wildcats at the Iowa State Classic.

Today’s Steve Miller Open marks the 30th straight season that the Wildcats have hosted a home meet before the conference championship.

“It is a bit of a mixed bag this weekend,” Cliff Rovelto, director of track and field and cross country, said to K-State Sports. “We have some who are attempting to cement their spot on the conference championship team next week, some who are looking to improve on marks attempting to qualify for the NCAA Championships and some who are just competing to remain sharp.”

The Wildcats will hope to replicate last year’s Steve Miller Open. K-State recorded 12 first-place finishes in the meet and 17 personal bests. The Wildcats then went on to fare well in the Big 12 Championships a week later.

This year’s meet will begin at 4 p.m. with the field events, followed by the running events at 6 p.m.

I am a senior in Journalism. I like sports and things.