Track and field team leaves home meet with a bang

0
182
Track and field attendees watch the K-State track meet in Ahearn Field House on Feb. 17, 2017. (John Benfer | The Collegian)

There is a new record in the weight-throwing books, thanks to senior Janee’ Kassanavoid. Her throw of 21.81-meters trumped the 9-year-old record of 21.41-meters at the Steve Miller Open, hosted in Ahearn Field House this past weekend.

“It was something else I accomplished, I finished off my senior year and it’s really exciting,” Kassanavoid said to K-State Sports.

Kassnavoid’s throw won her a first-place finish at Friday’s meet, the last meet before the Big 12 Championship next weekend.

Director of cross country and track and field Cliff Rovelto said he saw a lot of things that are encouraging for next week.

“Obviously Janee’ had the school record and a personal best in weight throw, so that was huge,” Rovelto said. “But there were plenty of other really good performances as well.”

Sophomore Brett Neelly placed first in the shot put with a throw of 18.58 meters, achieving his fifth first-place medal.

Senior Brady Grunder placed first in the weight throw with a toss of 21.27 meters, clinching his seventh first-place finish.

“In general, the weight guys and gals did a nice job,Rovelto said. “I think there was a lot of nice, solid performances.”

The jumpers also took multiple first-place finishes out of their eight events at the Steve Miller Open. Junior Claudette Allen jumped 6.21 meters, placing first in the long jump. Trailing behind Allen was senior Zanri Van Der Merwe with a jump of 5.94-meters.

Senior Zack Supple placed first in the pole vault with a 5.05-meter vault.

In the women’s high jump, junior Rhizlane Siba placed first with a jump of 1.75 meters. Fellow men’s high jumper senior Miles Bearden also placed first with a jump of 2.10 meters.

Following jumpers, the sprinters had a successful day at the meet. Junior Terrell Smith finished first with a sprint of 21.21 in the 200-meter dash. Freshman Akia Guerrier also clenched a first-place spot with a time of 24.71.

The 400-meter dash was also successful for the Wildcats, as senior Kaneil Harrison had a first-place finish of 49.47. Following closely behind Harrison and receiving second was sophomore Devie Freeman II, with a time of 49.71.

Seniors Morgan Wedekind and Kain Ellis both claimed a first-place finish in the 1000-meter run. Wedekind finished with a time of 2:56.69 and Ellis with 2:27.49.

Junior Bryan Zack achieved a first-place finish in his event, the 3000-meter run, with a time of 8:48.34. This was Zack’s highest placing of this season.

Receiving first place in the men’s mile was junior Sam Oxandale, with a time of 4:17.57.

K-State will next compete in the Big 12 Championship on Friday and Saturday in Ames, Iowa, in the Lied Recreation Center.

DeAundra Allen
I'm DeAundra Allen, co-editor-in-chief and sports editor at the Collegian. I'm a junior in broadcast journalism and pre-law, with a minor in philosophy. I was born in Brighton, Colorado, home of La Placita and the Bulldogs. I moved to Kansas in 2010, and fell in love with press boxes at a young age. In my spare time, I talk about my pets, sports, and work towards going to law school.