Hazardous weather cuts off competitive morning for K-State rowing team

0
197
The varsity rowing team paddles in unison on April 8, 2015, at Tuttle Creek Lake in Manhattan. (File Photo by Rodney Dimick | The Collegian)

The Kansas State women’s rowing team traveled down south to the Oklahoma River in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, this past Saturday to begin working various techniques and races with the Oklahoma Sooners for the upcoming 2017 spring season.

Due to strong winds, the afternoon portion of the season-opening scrimmage was canceled, but the morning was a session for learning.

The rowers accomplished various exercises in the morning that consisted of different lengths and times to compete and show their skills. Several exercises included two-minute rates of strokes, one-minute open rates and a five-minute piece.

Oklahoma finished in second place at last season’s Big 12 Championship race, but K-State stayed close as the action rolled on throughout the morning.

“I think we were extremely competitive with Oklahoma in all of the pieces that we did, which is a good sign as we head into the rest of the season,” head coach Patrick Sweeney said to K-State Sports.

This is just the start for the Wildcat rowing team, as more competitions and opportunities remain in the spring season.

“Today was a great opportunity for us to see where we are against a really good conference member in Oklahoma,” Sweeney said. “We are going to continue to work hard and push the girls physically before our ends races against Tulsa.”

Now, senior captain Noelle Dykmann said, the team can focus on what they need to work on.

“We know what we need to work on, now we can focus on that,” Dykmann said to K-State Sports. “We are really strong this year and capable of doing big things.”

The K-State women’s rowing team’s next race will take place March 18-25 on the Verdigris River against the University of Tulsa. The race will bring in the rower’s spring camp, which will be held in Tulsa.

DeAundra Allen
I'm DeAundra Allen, co-editor-in-chief and sports editor at the Collegian. I'm a junior in broadcast journalism and pre-law, with a minor in philosophy. I was born in Brighton, Colorado, home of La Placita and the Bulldogs. I moved to Kansas in 2010, and fell in love with press boxes at a young age. In my spare time, I talk about my pets, sports, and work towards going to law school.