Five Wildcats to compete in NCAA track and field championship

0
75
K-State Track and Field athletes warm up for their meet in Ahearn Field House on Feb. 17, 2017. (File Photo by John Benfer | The Collegian)

Five of the Kansas State track and field athletes that met the top 16 qualification standard from the Big 12 Championship in Ames, Iowa, have advanced to the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championship. The meet will take place today and Saturday in College Station, Texas.

At the Big 12 Championship, the men came in sixth with 71.5 points and the women came in fifth with 77.5 points. Baylor women came in first with 129.5 points, while Texas men came in first with 123.5 points.

Freshman Nina Schultz will be in the women’s pentathlon, which will begin at 12:15 p.m. today. She will be the first Wildcat to begin competing.

Sophomore Shardia Lawrence will be competing in triple jump this weekend after her second-place finish at the Big 12 Championship. Lawrence’s season best was at the New Mexico Team Invitational in January where she placed first with a jump of 13.34 meters.

K-State women’s high jump is ranked second nationally and will have one entry competing tonight. That individual will be senior Kim Williamson, who jumped 1.82 meters and placed second at the Big 12 Championship.

Two of the first-place standouts from the Big 12 Championship were junior Christoff Bryan and senior JaneeKassanavoid, and they will be looking for more titles.

Bryan, who placed first in men’s high jump at the Big 12 Championship with a jump of 2.2 meters, will come to this meet looking for more success.

Kassanavoid, who recently trampled the 9-year-old school record at the Steve Miller Open with a throw of 21.81 meters, will be in attendance in the women’s weight throw. Kassanavoid kept her winning streak with a throw of 21.32 meters and became the Big 12 women’s weight throw champion at the last meet.

The action will begin at noon today with the men’s pentathlon and will finish at 6:45 p.m. Saturday with the men’s 4×400 relay.

DeAundra Allen
I'm DeAundra Allen, co-editor-in-chief and sports editor at the Collegian. I'm a junior in broadcast journalism and pre-law, with a minor in philosophy. I was born in Brighton, Colorado, home of La Placita and the Bulldogs. I moved to Kansas in 2010, and fell in love with press boxes at a young age. In my spare time, I talk about my pets, sports, and work towards going to law school.