K-State tennis team ends homestand 1-2

0
63
Sophomore Ana Garcia Navas prepares for a serve Friday morning in the women's tennis match against University of Nebraska-Omaha. The K-State team won the match 7-0. (Logan Wassall | The Collegian)

The Kansas State women’s tennis team had quite the action-filled weekend, competing in three matches, losing two and winning one. They started with the University of Nebraska-Omaha, then squared up against two ranked opponents, No. 6 Texas Tech and No. 22 TCU.

Omaha at K-State

The Wildcats dominated their first match against Omaha, coming out on top 7-0, winning each of their matches in both doubles and singles competition.

Junior and freshman Carolina Costamagna/Ines Mesquita hit off the winning ways for the Wildcats, defeating Omaha’s freshmen Rylee Tucker/Emily Behling 6-1. This was Costamagna/Mesquita’s first time competing at the No. 2 spot for the Wildcats.

At the No. 1 spot, sophomores Ana Garcia Navas/Millie Stretton got the job done, winning 6-3, ultimately leading K-State to take the doubles point.

It was different play, but the same story for singles competition.

Costamagna began the string of wins for the Wildcats with a dominating 6-0, 6-1 performance against junior Michelle Lo.

Next, the No. 3 and No. 2 Garcia Navas and Stretton both got the job done. Garcia Navas came out victorious 6-1 and 6-2, followed by Stretton getting it done with a 6-3, 6-3 triumph.

Senior Maria Panaite at the No. 4 spot and senior Iva Bago at the No. 6 spot both creamed Omaha, each coming out with an 8-0 skunk.

No. 6 Texas Tech at K-State

The Wildcats’ second match of the day did not go as smoothly, falling to Texas Tech 4-0. K-State could not seem to catch a spark against the sixth-ranked Red Raiders.

Stretton/Garcia Navas could not repeat their first double match of the day, as they fell to juniors Sarah Dvorak/Sabrina Federici 6-2.

The Wildcats then dropped three straight in singles play, handing Texas Tech three singles points.

Stretton could not get it done, losing 6-2 and 6-1 to sophomore Felicity Maltby, who is ranked 40th in the country.

Mesquita has had a solid showing so far this season, however, she was defeated 6-3, 6-2 by Texas Tech’s sophomore Alex Valenstein.

Costamagna had her hands full with the No. 17 ranked player in the country, junior Gabriela Talaba, who handed Costamagna a 6-4, 6-2 loss.

No. 22 TCU at K-State

K-State closed out the weekend with a devastating 4-3 loss to No. 22 TCU.

TCU started the day out snagging the doubles point against K-State. Stretton/Garcia Navas fell to the No. 51 ranked pair of seniors Seda Arantekin/Olaya Garrido-Rivas, 6-1.

During singles competition, four of the six matches went to three sets with K-State only coming out on top in one of them.

Mesquita hit off the singles competition on the right foot, with a dominating showing winning 6-4, 6-1.

Following her, Stretton won her first set against junior Aleksandra Zenovka but could not find a way to win, dropping the next two 6-0 and 6-2.

Other Wildcats getting the job done included Garcia Navas, winning her three-set match 6-4, 4-6, 6-0. Closing out the victories for K-State against the 22nd-ranked Horned Frogs was senior Livia Cirnu, winning 6-4 in both sets.

The Wildcats will have some time to rest and regroup before heading to Texas to take on Southern Methodist University on Saturday at 1 p.m. They then travel to compete against the University of Texas-Arlington for a Sunday match hitting off at 11 a.m.