K-State women’s basketball selected for NCAA Tournament, will host opening rounds

0
142
Senior guard Kindred Wesemann dribbles the ball during the K-State game against Texas in Bramlage Coliseum on February 27, 2017. (File Photo by Maddie Domnick | The Collegian)

The Kansas State women’s basketball team is headed to the NCAA Tournament as a No. 7 seed in the Lexington Regional. The Wildcats will host the first and second rounds at Bramlage Coliseum.

The Wildcats will take on the No. 10 seeded Drake Bulldogs Saturday at 3 p.m. Drake is coming into the tournament red-hot. The Bulldogs have won 22 straight games, and despite being the lower seed, are actually ranked higher in the AP Poll than Kansas State. The Bulldogs are No. 20 and the Wildcats No. 25.

K-State is headed into the Tournament on a very long break. They have not played since their 88-71 loss March 5 to Baylor in the Big 12 Championship semi-finals. Despite the loss, the Wildcats still finished the season out strong, winning three out of their last four regular season games.

This is the second straight NCAA Tournament appearance for the Wildcats and the 14th postseason appearance in the last 16 years.

It is just the fifth time in program history, and the first time since 2003, that the Wildcats have hosted the NCAA Tournament in Manhattan. They are 5-1 in tournament games at home.

The other two teams playing in Manhattan will be No. 2 seeded Stanford Cardinals and the No. 15 seeded New Mexico State Aggies.

The winner of K-State versus Drake and Stanford versus New Mexico State will face off on Monday in Bramlage Coliseum.

I am a senior in Journalism. I like sports and things.