OPINION: Take-home exams are not what you think

0
249
Opinion graphic

The majority of my exams this semester, both midterms and finals, happen to be open-book and take-home exams. For two of my exams, the professors actually encouraged the class to form study groups to take the exams — granted we cannot submit the same answers.

These types of exams are much more realistic in the liberal arts versus the traditional in-class exams given to STEM students. Those studying in the College of Arts and Sciences, like myself, will often have to write research papers if we wish to advance in our career. When we do, chances are we will work with peers and have access to numerous, if not unlimited, resources to complete our research.

So, why would it make sense to memorize specific dates, names, formulas, etc. over the course of nine weeks — only to regurgitate them on one specific day?

At first, I thought take-home exams would be easier because I have access to any resource I could possibly need, but they’re not. The questions on these exams often require long, well-researched and thought-out answers, which takes a considerable amount of time.

That being said, let me say to the professors on the behalf of other students: thanks for realizing that in the real world, we indeed can use our notes and an endless number of resources.

Caleb Snider is a sophomore in public relations. The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Collegian. Please send comments to opinion@kstatecollegian.com.