Bat Cats take on Hawkeyes this weekend

0
59
Senior pitcher Colton Kalmus stands at the mound during the baseball game between K-State and University of Nebraska-Omaha on Wednesday in Tointon Family Stadium. (Logan Wassall | The Collegian)

The Kansas State baseball team suffered a tough loss to Nebraska-Omaha on Wednesday night 5-2 at Tointon Family Stadium, but will look to bounce back as they host the Iowa Hawkeyes this weekend for a three-game series.

The Wildcats are now 12-5 this season, while the Mavericks got just their second win.

This was the first win for the Mavericks since Feb. 19 when they defeated the University of Nevada Las Vegas 8-2.

K-State has lost three of their last four games, while Iowa won their last two games after sweeping Lehigh this past weekend.

They were supposed to take on Iowa Wesleyan on Wednesday, but the game was cancelled due to inclement weather.

The Hawkeyes are 9-6 this season and outscored Lehigh 23-10 over the weekend.

Junior first baseman Jake Adams is leading Iowa with five home runs this season and has 20 runs-batted-in, but also has the most strike outs on the team with 15. Sophomore outfielder Robert Neustrom is leading the team in batting with a .422 average and has a team high 27 hits on the year.

Pitching-wise, Iowa is led in the bullpen by junior Nick Nelsen and senior Josh Martsching, who have earned-run-averages under four.

The three-game series begins today at Tointon Family Stadium and will play through Sunday.