K-State looks for improved team performance at Schenkel Invitational

0
28
Sophomore Roland Massimino practices hitting balls out of a sand trap at Colbert Hills Golf Course on March 9, 2017. (John Benfer | The Collegian)

Coming off a poor performance at the Tiger Invitational, the Kansas State men’s golf team will look to improve their play this weekend at the Schenkel Invitational. The Wildcats finished 14 out of 19 teams at the Tiger Invitational.

One positive for the Wildcats was sophomore Roland Massimino, who had a great individual performance as he tied for fourth. Massimino began the tournament with a good first-round score of 5-under par 67. He was able to maintain that level of play through the last two rounds with a score of 1-under par 71 in each round to finish with a 7-under par 209 score.

“I am really proud of Roland, just to see the improvement he’s made over the last couple of years is a testament to the type of person he is,” head coach Grant Robbins said to K-State Sports. “He works hard and is committed to doing the things that will make our team successful.”

Sophomore Jeremy Gandon was the second-highest individual in the standings for the Wildcats. Gandon, who began the final round tied for 73rd, brought out a strong performance in the final round to earn a final score of 6-over par 222, which resulted in a tie for 47.

Senior Matt Green played well through the first two rounds and ended the second round in a tie for 33rd. A rough third round dropped him to a finish of a tie for 54th with a score of 7-over par 223. He will look to have a better finish this weekend.

The Schenkel Invitational is another three-day tournament this weekend, beginning today and ending Sunday. The Schenkel Invitational will be played at Forest Heights Country Club in Statesboro, Georgia. There will be 14 teams competing, including the Wildcats.