K-State season ends in NCAA first round 14-point loss

0
223
Sophomore guard Barry Brown lays up the ball during the basketball game between K-State and KU in Bramlage Coliseum on Feb. 6, 2017. (Emily Starkey | The Collegian)

Poor shooting throughout the game doomed Kansas State men’s basketball team to a 14-point loss in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

The 11 seed Wildcats shot 39 percent as the six seed Cincinnati Bearcats shot 63 percent in the 75-61 Cincinnati victory. The field goal percentage difference carried over behind the 3-point arc, where K-State shot 39 percent and Cincinnati 46 percent.

K-State’s only lead of the game lasted for 43 seconds and came in the first two minutes off a 3-pointer by sophomore forward Dean Wade.

Senior forward Wesley Iwundu led the Wildcats with 19 points, four rebounds and three assists. He was the only Wildcat to score in double digits.

Three Bearcats scored 15 or more points, including senior guard Troy Caupain, who led all scorers with 23.

K-State was out-rebounded 31 to 23. The Wildcats also committed seven more fouls than the Bearcats.

Sophomore guard Barry Brown had four steals, bringing his season total to 78. Brown’s 78 steals is the most in a season by a Wildcat, breaking the record of 67 set by Jacob Pullen in 2009-10.

Jason Tidd
Hello, I am Jason Tidd, the Collegian editor-in-chief. I am a senior in journalism and play baritone in the Cat Band at Kansas State. I want to give a voice to all the members of the K-State Family and tell the stories of our community. I learn something new every day as a journalist, and I hope you learn something, too, by reading my stories. EMAW and God bless.